shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Single vs. Double stack - The Original American Sheepdog!

Thread: Single vs. Double stack

Question Single vs. Double stack

Do you have a preferrence of a single stack CCW vs. a double stack CCW? Size & weight is a factor in a CCW choice. My Warthog has a 10rd double stack magazine. This makes the grip very wide but it fits my hands ok. The mag is short but fat, and 10rds of .45 is not light. Adding a spare mag to the wardrobe is even more. Despite all this, either one would be fine for me but the only single stack I have is a 5" 1911. My two bugs are single but they are .380's. What are your opinions?
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

Funny you should bring this up as we are considering getting a .45 and just tried a few on for size yesterday. I loved the double stack, and of course I'd be happy with the extra rounds. I have really long fingers though. A double stack doesn't work for my husband. He has short fingers and kind of wide hands but it's a reach for him to get the trigger with a double stack. So although we'd both like it for the extra rounds, he probably wouldn't be as comfortable shooting it. Haven't shot one yet, but he was rejecting it immediately just by feel.

Preference is one thing. Reality in the hand is another, I guess. That Warthog is a neat looking gun. I really like it.
    ~Susie~

Double... all the way. I want those extra rounds, otherwise I'm carrying an extra magazine.
    Proud NRA Member

"Guns kill people just like forks made Rosie O'Donnell fat"

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Double... all the way. I want those extra rounds, otherwise I'm carrying an extra magazine.
    I totally agree.

Administrator

Default Double if at all possible!

There was a time that I thought I would not be able to carry a double (small hands are sometimes NOT a plus). I shopped for several weeks until I found one that I could hold comfortably and was able to reach the trigger (just a small technicality ). Adjustable grips were the key...if it wasn't for that I would be forced into single stack. At the time of my purchase H&K was the only manufacturer that made a "small" grip small enough for me. The fact that no one else in the family can shoot it with out changing the grips is a plus :D.
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

Default Single vs. Double

I say double all the way. I have them for all of my XD's and I just love them. I love having the extra rounds even though I carry an extra mag or two on me most of the time.
    I can say that I have tried double mags in Glocks and didn't like them because the grip is to wide but XD's fit my hand just right.
    My concealed carry permit is the 2nd.Amendment
    NRA Member
    WVCDL Member
    SHEEPDOG!

In Ponchatoula, La., about 2 miles south of the intersection of I-55 and I-12

My GL23 came with a 10 round, single stack mag. Now I have a couple of double stack mags for it that hold 13 rounds. I didn't know they would both fit in the same gun, but they do. Since I changed to the EMP for my carry gun, I have a 9 round, single stack mag., one up the spout, and an extra mag in my pocket.

I like double also! BJ

NE Wash - 5 acres along the Pend Oreille River

Well as to date all my autos have been single stack. But there's always tomorrow. Been thinking of hitting one pawn shop near us that specializes in Para-ords....want to check those out...
    Michael
    USCG (Ret.), Always Prepared!
    Christian, EMT
    Photojournalist
    American Sheepdog Member
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member
    Kel-Tec PF-9

'I stand ready!'