shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Bad Day at Work. - The Original American Sheepdog!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Day at Work.

ASD Senior Member

Default Bad Day at Work.

For most of us a less than desireable day at work could mean the copier quit working, we ran out of coffee, the power went out, the boss was pissed and made everybody pay for it.
    Well, I think I got ya all beat for a crappy day at work. Last night (I am working graveyards...) about midnight, I was working in the control room with another co-worker (busy night, snow, Vail pass was a mess, many other mountain passes getting a lot of snow) when we both looked up to see the video feed from one of our canyon cameras going crazy, shaking badly.
    Can only mean one thing....major rockslide. Immediately closed the tunnel bores to all traffic, ran down 8 flights of stairs, jumped in a truck and zoomed to where that particular camera was located just outside the portal of the westbound tunnel portal. Here is what I saw in my headlights....100_0245..jpg100_0228..jpg100_0238..jpg100_0235..jpg100_0230..jpg100_0234..jpg100_0236..jpg
    Needless to say, it was a really long night. Walking around surveying the damage so I could report accurately was just downright spooky as the canyon walls where this happened are well over 1000 feet high and ya just don't know what else may be coming down.
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12

Administrator

Man....as beautiful at those mountains are.....my Texas Hill Country is a much safer!!

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default way to go michael ...

Hey michael, I heard that the road (I-70) is a mess and wont open up for some time due to that rock slide .. love the alternate routes like thru Rifle, colorado ... that would be a fun drive in the snow to get around the slide .. glad you and everyone else is okay, no one killed by the rocks, it is a good day... good pictures of the mess too ...later buddy ...Bebo
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

Great photos. I will not gripe about work today.......................
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

ASD Senior Member

Most of the boulders got drilled and blasted today by day crew as I slept the day away. Clean up will take a few more days as the engineers and the geologist are recommending taking a few more HUGE boulders down off the face of the canyon, bigger than the originals. Will probably finish taking out the bridge work. I-70 is closed for an indefinte period. The westbound lanes are totally destroyed, we might be able to have the eastbound open to 2 way traffic in a month or so....so here I sit, watching 26 monitors of no traffic. Its like a ghosttown....

Engineers did the calculations....the big boulders are estimated to be between 65-70 tons....almost 2 fully loaded semi's. Looking back thru the recorded feed....a car went thru 20 seconds before it all came down...scary.
    Do a google search for Channel 9 news, they have some great footage of drilling and blasing the rocks to a more manageble size. I have participated in these boulder busting ops and its kinda fun!
    Last edited by mmszbi; 03-09-2010 at 07:50 AM.

Heard about this on the news this morning. Its a small world!

They said that the detour around it is 200 miles?

Makes you want to re-evaluate your whole life!! heh heh

I have passed the "Falling Rock Zone" signs more times than I could count and will do so with new respect now.................
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

ASD Senior Member

Yea, the detour adds 200 miles to the trip accross the state. The speed limit in the canyon is 50mph, most folks do about 75.....lots of blind corners too. After the crash, I tell most of them that they can drive as fast as they want, but them rocks won't scamper out of thier way....

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

Amazing pics. I am glad that didn't happen while I was on my trip along I-70. I noticed two colorful specks and realized they were people next to the boulders.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.