shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Opinion needed! - Page 3 - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinion needed!

American Sheepdog is the first place that I come to after I start my computer up. I stumbled onto this site from the USCCA and I haven't looked back. I like the forums and the topics and I really like the fine people that are here also.
    It is great to be able to share your thoughts and ideas and stories with people that are like minded as you are. I love the topics and I love the honest input from everyone that participates.
    We have a great thing going here, and if we all work together I believe that it will only get better.
    My concealed carry permit is the 2nd.Amendment
    NRA Member
    WVCDL Member
    SHEEPDOG!

Quote Originally Posted by UGA View Post
    My friend, you have basically summed it up. Like the others, I feel you see what it is I am wanting to do with this forum, it is my passion and I want it to succeed. I cherish posts like this & the ones in this thread, it keeps me humble. I can sleep at night knowing my honest and well intended idea, is growing roots. The fruits of this tree will be for all to enjoy, for a long time to come. Honest, salt of the earth people wanting to learn all they can about carrying legally and safely to protect themselves and their families, is why I've created this community. So many members use the term family when referring to this forum. We are, and will always be a family. We're ridiculed by the left and the media. Our intent is not for gain, but for freedom to live as we see it, without the fear of becoming a victim of a two-bit criminal, and accepting the duty of protecting our loved ones. We want freedom, and we want the liberty this country was founded upon to pursue our lives. Since when did that put us in the minority? It's shocking and sad to say the least.
    Yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!! And, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

Quote Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
    Yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!! And, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
    The same goes for me. THANK YOU!

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries
    I am also a member of USCCA. It seems though that forum has declined, all subjects, to current politics and they get away from the true CCW topics. This forum does mention politics some but on a cursory level and then gets back to the topic at hand. I like what this forum is about and all the members are doing.
    Great job. Keep up the good work.
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default Love this forum .... great fun ...

American Sheepdog forum is a great place to share ideas with great people ... bigger is not always better and yet we are evolving without growing faster than we can gather new members and give them the sense of family and a safe place to talk, tease, enjoy each others company. I have nothing against USCCA at all but simply enjoy coming here much more .. I suppose because I respect the people who come here and enjoy the company that comes here. have had the great pleasure to get to know personally and shoot with some of the good folks here and I treasure those experiences.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

Blog Entries

As a new member who used to be a part of different forums "not gun related", I would love to jump in on this.

Large Effects -
    Whenever I had questions about accuracy, piercing power, etc. .... I would just google the question or keywords I had and would find the top searches that were listed under forums. I don't ever remember seeing this particular one. I think if you wanted to see a growth of the community on this forum, it MAY be necessary to "buy" a top search result through the search engine of your choice. Though google is evil and collects literally EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF INFO and IP address, it IS the most known search engine on the planet these days and would "of course be a little more expensive" bring Americansheepdog.com to the attention of a great many more web surfers. It is not always about quantity as it is quality though, so you have to pick your battles ya know. One negative about bringing in a surge of new people is it's going to be irritating for the Mods. New people always post in the wrong areas, break rules, and all that jazz. Possibly the biggest threat would be receiving what is known as a "Troll". A provocateur who pretends to be a healthy member of the forum, but actually tries to entice people to post violent, threatening, or illegal subject matter in order to flag the community as "Extremist, crazy, anti-government, truthers, terrorists" or any other number of terms and names that would not reflect this community at all, but would be used to demonize this and alike forums on mainstream media. These people are bad and there is no way to determine who these people would be. "Infra-Guard" comes to mind.

A POSITIVE large effect is that this community has a good number of active members. Not having enough active members as been the downfall of a great many forums. The things I see that drive people away from forums are usually
    1. Not enough actives 2. Monotony of posts 3. Strict administration.
    From what I have seen so far, the forum is doing well and these main 3 do not effect it at this time.

Small Effects -
    It was a little confusing for me finding how to mark a forum as read at first. I'm used to looking for such buttons on the right top corners of a forum. I figured it out, but I believe without a small insert of text somewhere in the "Welcome" sections, or perhaps on the side of the forum a person that is less determined as me might not figure out to double click the pistol.

Oh and I have yet to find how to make a photo album :D
    "First we've got population. Now, the world today has 6.8 billion people. That's headed up to about nine billion. Now, if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by, perhaps, 10 or 15 percent, but there we see an increase of about 1.3." ~ Evil Eugenicist BILL GATES at the TED conference

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Damaged_1 For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (06-30-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Damaged_1 View Post
    As a new member who used to be a part of different forums "not gun related", I would love to jump in on this.

Large Effects -
    Whenever I had questions about accuracy, piercing power, etc. .... I would just google the question or keywords I had and would find the top searches that were listed under forums. I don't ever remember seeing this particular one. I think if you wanted to see a growth of the community on this forum, it MAY be necessary to "buy" a top search result through the search engine of your choice. Though google is evil and collects literally EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF INFO and IP address, it IS the most known search engine on the planet these days and would "of course be a little more expensive" bring Americansheepdog.com to the attention of a great many more web surfers. It is not always about quantity as it is quality though, so you have to pick your battles ya know. One negative about bringing in a surge of new people is it's going to be irritating for the Mods. New people always post in the wrong areas, break rules, and all that jazz. Possibly the biggest threat would be receiving what is known as a "Troll". A provocateur who pretends to be a healthy member of the forum, but actually tries to entice people to post violent, threatening, or illegal subject matter in order to flag the community as "Extremist, crazy, anti-government, truthers, terrorists" or any other number of terms and names that would not reflect this community at all, but would be used to demonize this and alike forums on mainstream media. These people are bad and there is no way to determine who these people would be. "Infra-Guard" comes to mind.

A POSITIVE large effect is that this community has a good number of active members. Not having enough active members as been the downfall of a great many forums. The things I see that drive people away from forums are usually
    1. Not enough actives 2. Monotony of posts 3. Strict administration.
    From what I have seen so far, the forum is doing well and these main 3 do not effect it at this time.

Small Effects -
    It was a little confusing for me finding how to mark a forum as read at first. I'm used to looking for such buttons on the right top corners of a forum. I figured it out, but I believe without a small insert of text somewhere in the "Welcome" sections, or perhaps on the side of the forum a person that is less determined as me might not figure out to double click the pistol.

Oh and I have yet to find how to make a photo album :D
    Thanks for the input! I appreciate the feedback and your dive right in attitude. On the issues I'll explain them in a clear manner so others that have the problem can understand. You are obviously experienced with forums so I don't want you to think I'm responding to you like a grade school student if you know what I mean. Others can attest that I can be a little over detailed in my descriptions.

This newest vB software is similar but different in many ways from the old version others are using, I can't think of another "gun" forum using the 4.0 version. On marking the forums as read, to mark all as read, use the link below the forums and just below the quick chat box, center of screen. To mark individual forums as read use the double click on that particular forums icon as you stated.

To add an album there are a couple ways to get there. In your "My Profile" page (link top right of every page) you have your album display area down on the left side, you should have an add album link if you have no albums. The second option is to click Community below the nav-tabs (nav-bar) and then click my albums, there you should have the add album link. Follow the prompts to name your album and add photos from your computer. If you have any problems simply post a thread in the Help Desk forum, and myself, a moderator or even a member can answer you and give a solution to your problem. Otherwise just send a PM to myself or a moderator and we will respond ASAP. The process for adding photos is a little different in this software version when compared to the old vB that USCCA and others still use. You have an attachment manager that holds every photo you have ever uploaded, this allows you to simply pull from your storage when wanting to repost a picture without uploading it again...

On the Troll situation, the mods and I take a strong stand on flaming (provoking) posts. Our Moderators do a great job of standing back until being forced to step in. I picked each Mod based on their activity level and temperament as a member. We cherish the family environment here, that's a plus side of not using national advertising in magazines ect as of yet... The referral contest we are having is a way to have members refer friends and family of like minded ideal. But you are right, there will come a time when we will begin to receive Trolls, they will be removed without hesitation to keep the forum debates healthy and informative. I myself, left a forum I loved due to members running in packs and attacking other members and newbies. No question is stupid here and no question should go unanswered.
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UGA For This Useful Post:

countybob (03-31-2013), Damaged_1 (07-01-2010), rkbartley (06-30-2010)

Default great forum

this is without a doubt the friendliest forum i have ever used. i do not post too often but any time i go online i always check here. as has been mentioned, the layout is great and will evolve as it goes. looking forward to a long time of reading informative posts from everyone here!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to countybob For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (04-01-2013)

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by countybob View Post
    this is without a doubt the friendliest forum i have ever used. i do not post too often but any time i go online i always check here. as has been mentioned, the layout is great and will evolve as it goes. looking forward to a long time of reading informative posts from everyone here!
    In this Internet day and age that's one helluva compliment, and I agree.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

After I joined, it was great...then it seemed like it migrated into the "good old boys" club. This site never got to a stagnant point, but it did get to a point that it was just the "regulars" talking among themselves.

We, the "regulars" (you know who you are) should be the ones to "promote" conversation by raising particular discussion points!...and I will admit that I am guilty as well! Lets make a pact to bring this site to above "average" participation!
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (04-04-2013), rkbartley (04-10-2013)