shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Purifying water to drink--easy - Page 2 - The Original American Sheepdog!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purifying water to drink--easy

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon14

Good Info All.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

For Christmas I am buying everyone in my family (beyond immediate) a lifestraw. Lifestraws are a straw filter that hangs around your neck. You just stick it in the water and drink. When done, you then blow through the other end, which cleans the filter. One filter usually lasts one person one year. These filters are sent by the thousands to thirdworld countries as humanitarian aid. Folks have been drinking out of infected mud puddles for years with great results!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Decline For This Useful Post:

Bebo (04-09-2012), Jim Trueblood (08-29-2011), rkbartley (08-29-2011)

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Decline View Post
    For Christmas I am buying everyone in my family (beyond immediate) a lifestraw. Lifestraws are a straw filter that hangs around your neck. You just stick it in the water and drink. When done, you then blow through the other end, which cleans the filter. One filter usually lasts one person one year. These filters are sent by the thousands to thirdworld countries as humanitarian aid. Folks have been drinking out of infected mud puddles for years with great results!
    Saw LifeStraw demonstrated at a seminar once. Guy drank water from mud puddle contaminated with livestock feces.

Seems like cheap emergency insurance for sure, and it's much more handy to carry than my old-school Clorox Bleach (unscented only) and eye-dropper.

There's several similar, easy-to-purchase products on the market now too.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...traw&x=14&y=24
    Last edited by Jim Trueblood; 08-29-2011 at 01:46 PM.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

ASD Senior Member

You know, all of this prepping stuff is great and all, but in the end you have to do what you think is best for you (and your family if you have one, which I'm sure most of us here do!).
    Yes, it is essential to have the basic survival stuff on hand, as well as enough firearms/ammo to keep any bad guys off of you. I have enough food on hand to last several weeks, as well as a way to purify water(and as I have a rim canal next to my house, I will not go thirsty!). If the SHTF I am certain, given the locale in which I live, that we can survive. We can fish from the rim canal as well, and since I love fish, it's all good.
    Just stick to the basics and you'd be fine. Basic water, food, medical supplies, candles for light at night, batteries for flashlights, ammo for your carry weapons, and take turns on watch, especially at night and everything would be fine.
    Yes, I am prepared, but I see no point in going overboard with this stuff. Common sense should dictate what you need to do.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to suncat05 For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (04-10-2012)