shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm Compact - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

Thread: Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm Compact

ASD Senior Member

Default Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm Compact

While waiting for Michele's (my wife) CCW to arrive, we went shopping for her sidearm. She really didn't know what she wanted. As her left shoulder has at this time only has about 50-60% range of motion, her choices are limited by that. Her gun must be one she can handle one handed, as a two handed grip is a challenge for her, so a compact it will be.
    She has shot most of my smaller handguns, PPK in .32, FEG in 380, has shot an XDm in 9 and did quite well with it, so we had an idea where to start.
    At the local gun shop, we perused the Glocks, XD's, Sigs and so forth. Michele has rather small hands so the XDm was looking good due to the changeable grip panels. Then my friend Richard behind the counter brought out the M&P 9mm Compact. After changing out the grip panel to the smallest one that comes with the gun, it was a match made in gun heaven. Fit her hand like a glove, was very comfortable for her, and with the magazine extension even I can get a full grip.

The gun comes with a hard case (not quite up to par with the XD) and 3 different grip panels. The panels are simple to change, not quick, but simple. Breakdown is relatively easy after reading the instructions, a bit different than others, but not difficult to any degree. The second magazine provided does not come with the grip extension, but after a call to Smith & Wesson, a new one was mailed at no charge to her. Slide serrations are well defined for a good grip. A small notch in the top of the breech acts as a loaded chamber indicator.

Range time.... The gun shoots excellent. Haven't had a single hiccup with several brands of ammo. It is heavy enough even as a compact to absorb recoil very well, and the grip extension allowing a full hand grip reduces muzzle flip for good target aquisition on the second shot. Magazine holds 12 rounds with one in the pipe, but as the magazines are new, she has a hard time compressing the spring to get them fully loaded. I definitely recommend a loader. At this time I am it.......
    Sights are good, no problems for quick target aquisition. A small accessory rail is molded on the dust shield allowing the use of a light or laser. Trigger is plastic, but appears to be able to hold up, is different than the Glock/XD in that it hinges in the middle of the curve of the trigger rather than having a seperate piece sandwiched between two others. Same basic idea, but different method.
    Takes a little getting used to, but when depressing the trigger there is positive feedback as to when the trigger safety is deactivated. Trigger reset is great, and with rapid fire, trigger safety is not even noticable.
    All in all, she made a great choice!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmszbi For This Useful Post:

Decline (05-26-2010), xdglocker (05-26-2010)

ASD Senior Member

Thanks for the great review Mike. Sounds like Michele got a perfect fit in the M&P
    =--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=

Bob
    Sheepdog
    USCCA
    NRA
    CCDL

Glock 30sf KimberPro CDPII Ruger SR9c Ruger SR22P Remington 870 HD ISSC SCAR MK22 Hi-Point 995TS Kriss Vector CRB
    "I'm not Paranoid.....I'm Prepared"...SGT. T

Blog Entries

Yes, well done. Guys who sell guns tell me one of the big problems guys have with girls is trying to talk them into a weapon that THEY like. Just not a good idea.

What is yours and Michele's thinking on a holster and style of draw? Like her, my left shoulder is pretty crapped up and two handed hurts. I don't need to use it yet, but a technique might be for her to grab the right wrist rather than a wrap around. It's not such a long reach and if she has some forarm strength, the style might help.

Glad to hear that the gun fits her hand. That's one reason I don't have many double stack pistols. It's difficult to get a proper grip.

Best of luck....sounds like you guys really worked at it. Keep us briefed.

Rossi

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar
    Very nice job on firearm selection.

That's how it's done folks. If the handgun feels uncomfortable in the store for any reason, it's not going to feel any better at the range.

Smith & Wesson really did their homework with the M&P auto line. They've been in the field as duty weapons long enough now to have aquired a very favorable track record with both guys and gals.

Good Luck.

Jim
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

I'm glad you found a good fit!

I'm working on the same thing right now. I bought my fiance a Ruger LCP for her birthday on Friday. She's held them before and really liked how it felt in her hand, but she hasn't had the opportunity to shoot one yet. She will after I give it to her this Friday.

If she really doesn't like it, she'll be 21 and can rent a few guns to try out before getting another one. But I don't think that will be a problem. We'll see. I talked to a local gun dealer who will consider a trade for the LCP instead of me selling it back at 2/3 what I paid for it.
    ASD's Official Spam Looker-Outer-Dude (OSLOD)

"[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

ASD Senior Member

For the holster part of her gun purchase, check out my product review for the Maxpedition Versipack.

Tex, hopefully your gal can handle the LCP, it is a real bruiser to shoot, very snappy. No kidding, real snappy.

Michele can do a 2 handed grip, just not for a extended period of time. Low ready, up and shoot, back to low ready, which is in my opinion the way it should be done anyway.
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12

ASD Senior Member

One of my friends has a S&W compact 9mm, and she loves it. Not too big, not too small, and it eats just about any kind of ammunition that she shoots through it. I have fired it myself, and I can honestly say that if I had to carry one it would not cause any heartburn with me at all.
    The only thing I find strange about the weapon is that little lever in the very upper part of the magazine well that you have to push down when you're field stipping it for cleaning. I found that to be a little peculiar for a S&W, but as long as it shoots reliably and accurately it's all good.
    Last edited by suncat05; 01-15-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: misspelling

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suncat05 For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (01-08-2012), rkbartley (01-08-2012)