shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - I have a question, opinions wanted... - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

Thread: I have a question, opinions wanted...

ASD Senior Member

Default I have a question, opinions wanted...

I am in a quandry and would like some feedback.

I have a Winchester model 1892 made in 1915, calibre 25-20 WCF, octagon barrel, in very good condition. A couple more years and it will have its 100th birthday.
    The gun shoots awesome, I put maybe 25 rounds a year through it. I have had it for about 10 years, was given to me by my dad, he was given the gun by my grandfather I don't know its history before that. They both shot their first deer with it many many years ago.

From appearance, the gun may have spent a few years hanging over someone's mantel, it has a quite heavy coating of what appears to be shellac. One of the reasons it is in such good condition I believe.

I have been offered $3500 for it sight unseen, offered turned down. the gun is simply not for sale. I intend it to be passed down thru my kids to my grandkids.
    This is the question....would you, if it were yours, restore it to new condition? Remove shellac and redo wood. The value is not important to me as the gun will NOT be sold for any reason.

I will try to get some pics.
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default no help at all ....

Hey michael, I am 50-50 each way on the issue .... might be good to refinish the rifle but then again, your grandkids might enjoy getting the firearm the same way you got it and let them decide as to if they want the shellac coating or not. sorry no help at all ...
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bebo For This Useful Post:

mmszbi (06-18-2010)

Lightbulb Just a thought...

I took a Gunsmithing course many moons ago and did some work to my old Military rifles. First I used a mild commercial liquid varnish stripper to remove the top finish (if there was one). Then I took the wooden stock and soaked it in water (bath tub) about 15-30 minutes. Then I baked it in the oven low, about 200-215 degrees (F) for a while. This helped restructure the grain of the wood, raising nicks and dings and it also brought out all the oils from hands and gun cleaner over the decades.

Immediately after removing it from the oven I would wipe away all the oil beaded up on it with a soft cloth towel. Then I would rub it down with a very fine steel wool pad to smooth out raised fibers. Then just like the shampoo bottle says, rinse and repeat! I did this until all the oils and the dents were out.

The end result was verrry nice! All minor dents came out completely and I was left with a very clean, like new unfinished wooden stock. Major dents and cuts were minimized...

I wasn't comfortable with the metal work, ie; reblueing, parkerizing or acid bathing. No opinion on what you should do though, I'm torn. I do like the character, age, and history some guns get...
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to UGA For This Useful Post:

mmszbi (06-18-2010)

My grandpa gave my dad a 1930 Winchester .30-30 that my grandma bought for him. I'll get it one day. My dad shot his first deer with it, and it was the first rifle bigger than a .22 that I ever shot. My dad will give it to one of my kids one day. It's been very well taken care of, and I like the used look of it. It reminds me where it came from. Maybe a couple generations down the line some work can be done. But for now, it's only 80. It's got a long life to go. Just my thoughts.
    ASD's Official Spam Looker-Outer-Dude (OSLOD)

"[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

7. The Following User Says Thank You to texengineer For This Useful Post:

mmszbi (06-18-2010)

Absolutely i would refinish it. your descendants will be more likely to take care of a good looking gun.

If you were handed down a car would you feel bad about overhauling the motor?

Replacing the stock would be horrible but refinishing doesn't change what the gun is and where it came from.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Decline For This Useful Post:

mmszbi (06-18-2010)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Decline View Post
    Absolutely i would refinish it. your descendants will be more likely to take care of a good looking gun.

If you were handed down a car would you feel bad about overhauling the motor?

Replacing the stock would be horrible but refinishing doesn't change what the gun is and where it came from.
    I agree. Suggest do what UGA says.

Great call for not selling. That's like the watch in Pulp Fiction. But then I'm a softie when it comes to something like this. Old hand tools the same way

Rossi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossi For This Useful Post:

mmszbi (06-18-2010)

ASD Senior Member

your descendants will be more likely to take care of a good looking gun.
    Yep, that has merit for sure. I think my kids pick up on my handling of the rifle, it borders on reverent, every time I handle it, I think of my grandfather and wonder what kind of life the rifle has had, where it has been, what it has seen. In the condition it is in, I think the dings and dents in the wood give it incredible character.

So, I have made up my mind. It stays as it is!

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful insights. I will try to get some pics posted tonite.
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12