shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Holster Making - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holster Making

Default Holster Making

As if I didn't already have enough projects and hobbies, I just picked up a new one. I decided that I'm going to start making holsters.

I've read every article and how to that I can get my hands on (for leather and kydex), and I've ordered some materials. I've drawn up some plans and templates for my first go. Once I get the materials, I'll need to run a few little tests to make sure that what I want to do is possible since I haven't seen anything like my plans in any of my internet searches.

We'll see how it turns out! If it goes well, I'll probably get addicted to it and make them all the time like I do with all of my other little craft projects. Maybe I could do a little custom work, and a little money on the side. Or maybe just have a holster for every day of the week We'll see...

I'll post my procedure with pictures when I'm finished, which won't be for a couple weeks. I'm going to take my sweet time to make sure that it comes out well.

Has anyone else made their own holsters? Any tips, tricks, or pics to share?

Wish me luck!
    ASD's Official Spam Looker-Outer-Dude (OSLOD)

"[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Looking forward to it! Good luck!

ASD Senior Member

Wow, you are a busy guy! I will send you my Kimber and you can make a 1911 holster! I had seen a few YouTube videos on forming kydex into holsters, mag light holders, magazine pouches, etc., you might want to do a search?

Looks like you can use the Kydex for just about anything!
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

One of the guys I work with at the range is making custom Kydex and leather holsters. I will ask him for pointers, or better yet get him to join ASD.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Default My First Kydex Creation!!

My materials came in the mail a couple of days ago. I decided to make something small to test out the Kydex; so, I took an old pocket knife that was missing screws and used kydex to make it into a fixed blade. Then I made a sheath for it out of Kydex and the clip from the original pocket knife. A little shaping, sanding, and strips from an old leather belt, and PRESTO! Fixed Blade Knife with a sheath, and first hand knowledge about how kydex behaves

"[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

ASD Senior Member

Nice!
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12

Blog Entries

Caution! You could get hooked. My neighbor's brother in law, is not a Biker, but he does leather work as a hobby and he tried out a set of saddlebags on me. We have a leather processor north of our town. He personally went there and bought the hide, made the bags, and they were beautiful. They included such real-life activity as barbed wire fence cuts that had healed.

I bird-dogged two $700 projects for him, but many others had quizzed me about the bags.

Best of luck.

Rossi

Very cool, keep us posted!
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

Quote Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
    Very cool, keep us posted!
    I didn't have a lot of free time this weekend because my roommate had a bunch of friends in from out of town, but I did get a little bit done. I made my templates, cut and chamfered the kydex, cut out the denim wings and cover panels and riveted the kydex and wings together. I need to make a trip to Michael's to get some good fabric siffener, some good sturdy thread, and some good heat resistant glue. I need to learn how to put a trim around it too. That will definitely be a challenge. Once it is all stitched together , I'll cut out the belt slots, then I'll pop it in the oven for a bit, take it out and mold it to my gun. Then I just bolt a couple of IWB clips onto it, and I'll have a new holster The IWB clips will be secured with very slim hex nuts so that they can be taken off for OWB carry with the belt slots. We'll see how it goes!! I should be done by next week. Here's what I have so far:

It sounds like you're enjoying the process! Enough can't be said about the satisfaction obtained from making something useful with your own two hands..........
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength