shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Panther™ LR-338L - The Original American Sheepdog!

Thread: Panther™ LR-338L

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Panther™ LR-338L

.338 Federal brings a Whole-Lotta LONG-DISTANCE , smack-down power to the AR Platform.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5293&cat=1842
    Last edited by Jim Trueblood; 07-15-2010 at 08:27 AM.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

I like the clean, sleek lines--very nice!
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

I wonder why "The Nature of this Item" makes them only sell it to FFL holders? It looks like an AR to me. Am I missing something?

It's a great looking gun!
    ASD's Official Spam Looker-Outer-Dude (OSLOD)

"[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by texengineer View Post
    I wonder why "The Nature of this Item" makes them only sell it to FFL holders?
    As a "Manufacturer", restricting the sale of firearms to "FFL Holders Only On File With DPMS" is how DPMS keeps their distributors and dealers happy, while encouraging other gun stores to become DPMS dealers. It's also how their Insurance and Legal folk prefer it to reduce corporate liability.

All DPMS products, with the exception of the ones they build exclusively for military / law enforcement contracts, are available to the general public through your local gun store, or local DPMS dealer.
    Last edited by Jim Trueblood; 07-15-2010 at 01:18 PM.
    John Steinbeck

LR-338L??? I assume the initial LR is Long Range (duh) but why the L behind the 338? Some may confuse that with the 338 Lapua, which is different than the 338 Federal. The Lapua is a cartridge designed for the military in sniper rifles. The 338 Federal is based on a .308 cartridge whereas the 338 Lapua is closer to a 300 Rem Ultra Mag. It holds more powder than the Federal cartridge.

This is not anything against the Federal version, I wish I had either!!! Just wondering if the "L" has a designation or if it is marketing "slight of hand" so to speak...
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

Quote Originally Posted by UGA View Post
    LR-338L??? I assume the initial LR is Long Range (duh) but why the L behind the 338? Some may confuse that with the 338 Lapua, which is different than the 338 Federal. The Lapua is a cartridge designed for the military in sniper rifles. The 338 Federal is based on a .308 cartridge whereas the 338 Lapua is closer to a 300 Rem Ultra Mag. It holds more powder than the Federal cartridge.

This is not anything against the Federal version, I wish I had either!!! Just wondering if the "L" has a designation or if it is marketing "slight of hand" so to speak...
    You are correct sir, LR is Long-Range. The L behind the .338 designates that this rifle uses a "Lightweight" Gas Block Barrel.

There's no doubt the .338 Lapua Magnum is a more powerful cartridge than the .338 Federal, however, the beauty here is that DPMS has manufactured a rifle that weighs less than 8 pounds, in a very powerful, long-range cartridge that doesn't require chiropractic care after a shooting session.
    .338F ammo is also WAY cheaper than .338LM. Most of all, this rifle is reasonably affordable.

The .338 Federal is also easily capable of taking any north american big game, and in my neck-of-the-woods is frequently used to drop moose and black bear. In the AR platform this makes for a very effective, all-around, time-of-crisis, mass-hysteria, survival rifle. It can provide true one-shot-stops for defense, allow you to reach-out-and-touch-someone during long-range encounters where you can engage the bad-guys LONG before they are within the effective range of their rifles (hell, with some concealment effort they probably won't be able to see you). It'll deliver effective sniper cover for fellow team members, and put meat on the table with its big game hunting capability.

The .338 Lapua Magnum, while a great military sniper cartridge, is a monster to shoot without a muzzle brake, and even with the brake it's not what I'd call "pleasant". Then there's the weight, in semi-auto about 14 pounds, not something I'd wanna be packing for days. Factory ammo in .338LM runs about $60.00 for 10 rounds (yikes! ), and now for the really good part, the price, in semi-auto, $4,500.00 and up.

I like to think of the .338 Federal as "the working-man's .338".

Good Luck, Jim
    Last edited by Jim Trueblood; 07-17-2010 at 09:09 AM.
    John Steinbeck