shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - It's a BOY! - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

Thread: It's a BOY!

Blog Entries

Default It's a BOY!

I am the proud guardian of a 1935 Tula 91/30 Hex reciever w/ original tools, parts, slings, and ammo pouches. Serial numbers all match from what I have kept up with.

I have been searching the net, and every gunshop and gunshow I could fine in Austin, San Antonio, Abilene, and in between for a 1930-36 Tula and a shop called The Powderhorn 3 miles down the street had 1 in the back. I was about to give into what my friends were telling me and just buy a wartime or postwar MN in fear I couldn't find the one I truly wanted. Polar Bears Beware!

I have to wait a week or so until my buddy from Austin comes to visit me to get pictures. He has an amazing digital camera and that will be needed to show the tiny little markings I have been finding in VERY weird places. "Birth Marks" as I have been calling them

So far I am impressed with the overall build. The bayonet doesnt fit super well. While I was trying to get it to slide on I noticed some black paint stuff was begining to get scraped off.The action and so fourth will get better after a good cleaning. I am a little overwhelmed at the idea of cleaning it "I had the guys in the shop suggest what kit to buy" as I have never cleaned ANY rifle, much less one covered in cosmoline.

Its a good day in the history of me. I have been putting my rifle on my bed and couches in hopes that wonderful smell will soak in. I will post the serials, symbols, etc. when I can get some pics taken.

PS: Oh, in case any of you were wondering... It cost me 139.99 before tax to take it home. They had another prewar Tula there "round reciever though and referbed in 1944" for 119.99.
    "First we've got population. Now, the world today has 6.8 billion people. That's headed up to about nine billion. Now, if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by, perhaps, 10 or 15 percent, but there we see an increase of about 1.3." ~ Evil Eugenicist BILL GATES at the TED conference

ASD Senior Member

Enjoy the cosmoline...great stuff
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

Congrats on the new rifle. I'll have to come visit and bring some ammo.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Looking forward to the photos!

Blog Entries

Alright. My best friend came down from Austin yesterday and e got some photos of the Nagant. Here's the link to my album.

http://americansheepdog.com/Forum/album.php?albumid=90

By the way, there are a good 10 more symbols hidden all over the rifle and parts. Serial numbers were left out because my friend claimed putting those numbers online was bad . All serial numbers match though.

Cosmoline was not all that bad. Very little was on the outside and most of it was found in the cleaning rod holder, unde the top wood cover of the barrel, and behind the metal buttstock plate. We cleaned it all out in 2 hours. I scratched off the escutions because they were coated in some kind of laminant or something. Got them shining up pretty good. Overall a successful haul. Now I just nee to find it a twin brother for my Dad.

I have yet to fire it. Can't find ammo reasonably piced round here so Imma just wait to get 2 spam cans of 440in a crate. I DID However buy some .000 for my shotgun today ;)
    "First we've got population. Now, the world today has 6.8 billion people. That's headed up to about nine billion. Now, if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by, perhaps, 10 or 15 percent, but there we see an increase of about 1.3." ~ Evil Eugenicist BILL GATES at the TED conference

Looks to be in really good condition! Gotta love a bayonet!

Quote Originally Posted by Decline View Post
    Looks to be in really good condition! Gotta love a bayonet!
    I second that!
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

Blog Entries

This rifle is beggining to scare me

First, I randomly watch a video on adjusting the firing pin and while going through the steps I discover my firing pin was dangerously too far out. So I fix that.

Today, I bought 20 rounds of 10 90 Bulgarian Ammo from the local gunshop. When I took it home, I put the rounds in to test the action and discover that the action is HORRIBLE 50% of the time with ammo in. I mean horrible. I was pretty much forcing the bolt closed (I know... it was dumb. I worked up enough stupidity to do it when I was testing it out to see if anything was wrong with the gun."

Upon inspection of the rounds Post ejection, I noticed some of them have fresh cuts into the rims and long shallow cuts/scrapes into the bullet casing. I tried it loading them directing by handing thinking maybe the magazine had a sharp edge and was cutting them... its not the magazine though.

NOW I have to figure out whats inside the reciever thats cutting my ammo.