shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Winchester PDX1 410 - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

Thread: Winchester PDX1 410

Default Winchester PDX1 410

Any one have hands on experience with this 410 shell? Looks good for use in a Judge...

http://www.winchester.com/Products/N.../pdx1-410.aspx

It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar
    A buddy of mine is a "Judge Freak" and I've shot both the Federal Judge load and the Winchester Judge load. Both are devastating at up-close-and-personal distances, tearing huge holes in targets. At bad-breath distance, a Judge is really going to ruin a bad guy's day. I don't own one yet, but I'm interested in seeing and shooting the polymer Public Defender model when I get my hands on one.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Trueblood For This Useful Post:

mmszbi (08-22-2010), UGA (08-20-2010)

I can see the large round "buck shot" type shells, but I'd like to know more about the disc's... How effective are they at X amount of distance. Close... maybe. 15-20 yds, not sure? They are not large and they're flat with low weight, what is their penetration potential?

I don't want to bruise, I want to penetrate. Everything I've seen is like you say with paper targets, I would love some data on ballistic gelatin with clothing... Anybody?

I remember the Myth Buster story about the shotgun Billy-the Kid shot with $1.20 in dimes or whatever...

They wouldn't really penetrate because of the flat surface and low weight...
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

Administrator

We are headed to the ranch tomorrow. If I can find a box between home and Llano I will try them out in my Bond's Derringer and let you know.

The snakes are really active this year so the derringer (with snake shot) will be attatched to me at all times anyway so might as well get some practice with some less than traditional (meaning non-paper) targets...the new shells will work in well.

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UGA View Post
    How effective are they at X amount of distance. Close... maybe. 15-20 yds
    Both the Federal and Winchester .410 loads fired from a Judge are meant for up-close defense from point blank to 7 yards max. At 20 yards, out of a Judge, .410 is close to useless. But then again it's not what the Judge and the ammo was designed for.

If I were to carry only a Judge for defense I'd never load it with only .410. I'd load two .410 shells, and then three .45 Colt loads. That way any challenge from point blank to 25 yards can easily be met effectively.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/New-Products/Pages/pdx1-410.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvNP78hBwcs
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

Administrator

Well, dang. We made it to the ranch...but I didn't find any of these shells in the breif time I had to look along the way. The good news is there were no run-ins with undesireable critters in Llano County today either. It was too hot for even the snakes to be out!

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

ASD Senior Member

What Jim said. There was a writeup recently in Guns and Ammo (I think) and the rounds were found to be quite devastating in the 7 yard range. From what I remember, the discs were quite consistent in shot placement on paper, they tend to group together for a 1,2,3 punch low and to the left, like clockwork. Yep up close they are deadly.
    A friend of mine had a Judge for a while, I liked shooting it, the weight really made the gun very managable, even with the 45LC loads. I am wondering what the effect of this round would be like out of the new Circuit Judge.
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12

Blog Entries

I have a Judge Public Defender and load three of these rounds (Winchester PDX1 410) along with 2 .45LC Semi Wadcutters. At 7 yards and under this gun will get it done. At over 25 yards, even the .45LC becomes unpredictable.

I first tried the Hornady Leverevolution .45 Long Colt because it was the only jacketed .45LC ammo that I could find and I wanted to try it out at the indoor range where no "lead" is allowed. In the first five rounds, with a two hand hold, I put a single hit on the paper of a B5 silhouette target. That single hit was actually within an inch of the edge of the target! Talk about a long face... The next five rounds were bag rested and produced 4 hits but without any 9 or 10 ring scores. My face got longer. When I tried the PDX1 410 rounds at 25 yards, surprisingly things improved considerably, putting about 90% of the shot on the silhouette.

Later, at an outside range, the .45 LC semi wadcutters (unjacketed) proved to be much more controllable. Because of the short barrel (2.5"), it is not a 25 yard + shooter but in under 10 yard situations, I have no other gun that I would rather have in my hand. I have now fired both the 5" Judge and this PD and frankly see little difference in the recoil and shoot-ability of the two models even though the 5" was the heavy blue steel version and the PD has a shorter grip and weighs only 20 ozs. Go figure! There is also little difference in the pattern from the 410 rounds at less than 15 yards. There is a big difference in the accuracy with the .45 LC at 25 yards and over. The longer barrel proved to be better with both the jacketed and unjacketed ammo and the 410 ammo is well beyond range at 25 yards regardless of what type of ammo is used. (The PD is useless with the Leverevolution .45 ammo; cherry bombs would be as effective.)

In summary, I love the PDX1 410 stuff. I have no penetration tests to go by but would guess that at least one of the three discs will hit on its edge... ouch! At close range, I feel they would be stoppers. I bought this gun primarily as a car gun but now find that it is also my primary bedside handgun.

I realize that I contributed little to the PDX1 discussion. My only real information is that the new Leverevolution ammo may be great in its intended home of lever action long guns but I did not find it suitable for short barrel revolver use... at all.
    If Obama is the answer, the question must have been really stupid!
    Official Certification: This is to warrant that the above post contains a minimum of 90% recycled words.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dnola For This Useful Post:

UGA (09-22-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by dnola View Post
    I have a Judge Public Defender and load three of these rounds (Winchester PDX1 410) along with 2 .45LC Semi Wadcutters. At 7 yards and under this gun will get it done. At over 25 yards, even the .45LC becomes unpredictable.

I first tried the Hornady Leverevolution .45 Long Colt because it was the only jacketed .45LC ammo that I could find and I wanted to try it out at the indoor range where no "lead" is allowed. In the first five rounds, with a two hand hold, I put a single hit on the paper of a B5 silhouette target. That single hit was actually within an inch of the edge of the target! Talk about a long face... The next five rounds were bag rested and produced 4 hits but without any 9 or 10 ring scores. My face got longer. When I tried the PDX1 410 rounds at 25 yards, surprisingly things improved considerably, putting about 90% of the shot on the silhouette.

Later, at an outside range, the .45 LC semi wadcutters (unjacketed) proved to be much more controllable. Because of the short barrel (2.5"), it is not a 25 yard + shooter but in under 10 yard situations, I have no other gun that I would rather have in my hand. I have now fired both the 5" Judge and this PD and frankly see little difference in the recoil and shoot-ability of the two models even though the 5" was the heavy blue steel version and the PD has a shorter grip and weighs only 20 ozs. Go figure! There is also little difference in the pattern from the 410 rounds at less than 15 yards. There is a big difference in the accuracy with the .45 LC at 25 yards and over. The longer barrel proved to be better with both the jacketed and unjacketed ammo and the 410 ammo is well beyond range at 25 yards regardless of what type of ammo is used. (The PD is useless with the Leverevolution .45 ammo; cherry bombs would be as effective.)

In summary, I love the PDX1 410 stuff. I have no penetration tests to go by but would guess that at least one of the three discs will hit on its edge... ouch! At close range, I feel they would be stoppers. I bought this gun primarily as a car gun but now find that it is also my primary bedside handgun.

I realize that I contributed little to the PDX1 discussion. My only real information is that the new Leverevolution ammo may be great in its intended home of lever action long guns but I did not find it suitable for short barrel revolver use... at all.

Great, "real life" review. Thank you... Honest, unbiased reviews are what I look for!