shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Your Hobbies! Besides Firearms! - Page 3 - The Original American Sheepdog!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Hobbies! Besides Firearms!

@dunrovin-
    Nah! She loves going to the homebrew store and picking out grains. "Smells like cereal!" . Not quite sure if the process attracts her or just getting to do something with me (or both) but I do know she watches tons of the Food Network. Wants to go to Johnson & Wales..

@Coastie-

yep the fuel thing is a drag. My camper is a large popup so pulling it isnt a big deal. I have a twin turbo f250 diesel powerstroke for that. Yeah, the gas mileage sucks but the camper only weighs abt 3500#'s loaded and I can tow 23500 with the truck, so towing our lil camper doesnt really do any damage to mileage.
    Proud NRA Member

"Guns kill people just like forks made Rosie O'Donnell fat"

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

I love Salsa Dancing. Latin music and Latin women is a great combination. I also Dance C/W and Ball Room. I know it may seem odd to some, particuarly when you consider what I do for living and my 28 years of Military, Law Enforcement and Corrections experience. It's great exercise and a great way to work on your foot work. Which might come in handy if I should have to "get off the X." In addition I really enjoy cooking.
    I do a lot of charity work with Optimist International.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Blog Entries

I own my own business which is so demanding I don't have much time for hobbies other than shooting anymore.

But in another life I was a criminal investigator. Such people are curious, and many times carry considerable skills and contacts in investigating backgrounds that help in other fields, such as the study of family history, and spent a decade learning the background of these very ordinary but interesting people and the times they lived in, and it was a great hobby.

In the study of murder scenes and homicide photos greatly sharpens powers of observation. Every item in the photo and the position of everything is studied and the resulting impact, if any, it has on the previous action in the photo. Such clues can be anywhere. Such skills carried well in family photo identification from even the most minute details in them. And the skill carries right on into the world of concealed carry. Such attention to detail can tell you the real story of a street scene and what action is needed, if any.

This is one of the very few advantages of being a Certified Old Fart. You've simply been around long enough to absorb some of this stuff.

And speaking of COF's, I'm rambling.

Later, Rossi

In Ponchatoula, La., about 2 miles south of the intersection of I-55 and I-12

Ramble on Rossi, from another COF.
    Roy

Interests:

:)1. Serving God
    :)2. Raising grandkids
    :D3. Playing fiddle in worship band
    :eek:4. Teaching shooting/self defence
    5. Fly fishing (will resume after grandkids are self sustaing adults)

Cool Other Hobbies

I have a large Knife collection Most from the early 1970's
    Last edited by Larry Noble; 08-23-2008 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spelling

I collect coins, favorite being Morgan Dollars. Somehow, and I just don't get it, I seem to collect small dogs. BJ

Administrator

Resurrecting an old post...

While at home this morning, I was re-reading some old posts and ran across this one...it reminded me of some old friends we haven't heard from in awhile, but also made me realize how many members have joined since the last posting here.

This is a wonderful way to get to know each other just a little bit better....so will you please tell us all just a bit about what you like to do (I think you can even include firearm related things ...it will be okay).

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

Sounds like a plan rkb!

I guess I'll start.. or re-start however you wanna say it.

Anyways, I play the drums for a worship band at the Newman Center on the U of Arizona campus (Go Wildcats!!) every Wednesday and Sunday evening. I really like cars, and driving. My buddy and I like going to random car dealerships and test driving fast cars for fun on the weekends. I play golf when I can (lately my old golf time-slot on Saturdays is spent at the pistol range ). I like fixing things. I often take broken things off of peoples hands and make them work again just for fun. And finally, I have been trying to learn as much as I possibly can about concealed carry, tactics, and gear so that I'll be ready for my concealed carry course next month and eventually receiving my permit this summer, when (as Decline so eloquently put it) I will "cross that magical threshold [from the age of 20 to 21, and I] will be endowed from the heavens with common sense and good judgment."
    ASD's Official Spam Looker-Outer-Dude (OSLOD)

"[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rkbartley View Post
    While at home this morning, I was re-reading some old posts and ran across this one...it reminded me of some old friends we haven't heard from in awhile, but also made me realize how many members have joined since the last posting here.

This is a wonderful way to get to know each other just a little bit better....so will you please tell us all just a bit about what you like to do (I think you can even include firearm related things ...it will be okay).

rkb
    Strange you should mention the early posters. For no reason whatsoever, I was thinking about Stormy and Eight Ball yesterday, But....people move on. I had quit a forum for lack of disipline that I had been on for 11 years......almost the dawn of forums. But priorities and interests change. I missed that forum, but learned that life will continue without your posts.

Rossi