shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Lee LoadMaster - Page 2 - The Original American Sheepdog!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee LoadMaster

I have been playing with the idea of reloading but I dont have a work bench. Is it possible to reload on a table top? Keep in mind that my knowledge of reloading begins and ends with the fact that it exists.

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Decline,
    A table top is not sturdy enough to accept the pressure of the press lever. You will definately need a VERY sturdy bench to mount your press.
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

Thanks. Guess I need to start looking at work benches instead of presses.

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Decline View Post
    Thanks. Guess I need to start looking at work benches instead of presses.
    Midway USA has a great bench, built from the same company that builds Crafstman tool boxes. It has three pull out drawers and has a bottom storage panel. I bought and use that bench...it is very affordable and very stable. I am using a Lee Loadmaster press on this bench (Lee's most agressive progressive press, it loads 5 rounds at a time). You should check out that bench and then let us re-loaders know when you have a bench and we will make recommendations on a starter press. I will already make a suggestion for a starter press, because this is what I started with three years ago...the Lee Classic Turret...it is semi-progressive, but only loads one round at a time so you can be very diligent about your loads until get get very comfortable with loading. JMTCW.
    Retired USAF
    Certified SIG Armorer
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

Thanks. It will be a while. I don't have anywhere to put a bench at the moment. It's always something...

Been using a Lee turret press for past three years.....has been reliable....at the 1 1/2-year mark, though, the handle actually fractured where it is linked with the gears...called Lee and sent them a photo via email and they were prompt in getting a free replacement for me....which was cool since I was a couple weeks out from a competition. Since my competition shooting and practice drills frequency have been increasing, I have been tempted to want to jump ship to a Dillon. My competition colleagues use Dillons....while it takes me an hour to press out 60-90, they are doing several hundred!!

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by AldoG30 View Post
    Been using a Lee turret press for past three years.....has been reliable....at the 1 1/2-year mark, though, the handle actually fractured where it is linked with the gears...called Lee and sent them a photo via email and they were prompt in getting a free replacement for me....which was cool since I was a couple weeks out from a competition. Since my competition shooting and practice drills frequency have been increasing, I have been tempted to want to jump ship to a Dillon. My competition colleagues use Dillons....while it takes me an hour to press out 60-90, they are doing several hundred!!
    From what I have heard from Dillon owners, they are great...but you had better be willing to pay about three times of a Lee. I wanted to go to Dillon instead of the Lee masterloader, but I just could not afford the cost for setting the press up for 5 calibers ($1400)...so I will stick with the slow Lee for now.
    Retired USAF
    Certified SIG Armorer
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

ASD Senior Member

Going back throught this thread has me jones'n to get reloading again. I have decided when I go home to pack up the family I am going to bring the bench I made, I made it out of 4x4's bolted together and braced with 2x4's holding a shelf, the top is a countertop I bought at the Habitat Rehab store for $10, my total cost was about $25. Its screwed into wall studs so its really sturdy.

Now that I am back up and running with a computer, I am going to start searching craigslist for reloading equipment, I have found some really good deals and often see presses for good prices.
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default good to hear from you michael

Well Michael, when you get here to load up, hope you find some time to shoot some with me so you have more empty casings ..be safe coming back to Colorado.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Well after 14 months of trial and error, I dumped the Loadmaster...it was very difficult to keep in adjustment to produce accurate rounds. I went back to my very reliable classic turret and am happy; not as fast, but much more accurate...and I would rather be accurate than fast!
    Retired USAF
    Certified SIG Armorer
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com