shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Quick Clot Clotting Sponges - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Clot Clotting Sponges

Default Quick Clot Clotting Sponges

These are available in a variety of sizes: 3" x 3", 4 x 4", etc. I found one place where it can be had in a roll 4' long by 3 or 4" wide (cheapest). I know the sterility would be compromised once the seal is broken, however, to such an extent that it would not be worth buying?

Any opinions on the best size to buy? I know you were a medic, UGA, what would you advise? There's a family member with a clotting disorder and would like to have some of this around in case the SHTF.

Thanks!
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
    These are available in a variety of sizes: 3" x 3", 4 x 4", etc. I found one place where it can be had in a roll 4' long by 3 or 4" wide (cheapest). I know the sterility would be compromised once the seal is broken, however, to such an extent that it would not be worth buying?

Any opinions on the best size to buy? I know you were a medic, UGA, what would you advise? There's a family member with a clotting disorder and would like to have some of this around in case the SHTF.

Thanks!
    I'm shopping this item also. I'm a bleeder, and will probably need at least 3-5.

Rossi

Default Hey, UGA, what do you think?

Thanks!
    You probably missed this one.............
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.

You probably missed this one.............
    I did miss it, sorry...

I would say the 4x4's. The roll would be useful for an arm, leg or the head but otherwise wasted on the torso. The key to getting blood to clot as with anything else like Gauze or a towel, is not to remove the first item once it is saturated, you should add to it. Never remove saturated pads for new ones until the bleeding is stopped or under control. Removing them could remove the forming clot. Add another 4x4 as needed until it stops or you can get medical attention. Having a pack or two of 4x4's would be ideal. Regular Gauze to wrap and hold the pads in place also.

Don't forget about elevation and pressure...

Knowing where to apply pressure to arteries is also a must in a survival situation. If you are alone, and have a large cut on your arm, you could cut up your shirt (or anything) and ball up a fist sized portion. Using another piece you could place the fist size ball on the inside of your upper arm (center it between the bicep and tricep) and then tightly tie it in place with the other hand and your teeth, causing the ball to put pressure on the artery giving you use of both hands. The artery in the inner thigh is harder to do so a tourniquet would be needed in a severe situation. If possible, you should write down the time you applied it (finger dipped blood works) on your leg etc and loosen the pressure briefly every 15-20 minutes but still using pads placed directly on the wound to aid in clotting. Note I said loosen NOT release or remove! Depending on the injury and amount of blood loss, releasing a tourniquet could could cause a sudden drop in blood pressure and you could pass out and then bleed to death. You can use the ball method to place pressure directly on the wound, place it on top of the pads and tightly tie it in place, removing it only to add more pads. In case of an amputation, a tourniquet close to the amputation works. Tourniquets can be dangerous, if you lost a foot, you wouldn't want to put the tourniquet on your upper thigh and risk loosing the whole leg. An upper thigh tourniquet could assist with stopping the blood flow but it should still be loosened periodically to supply muscle and tissue with needed oxygen.

The following is a statement by the ASD Lawyers:

For a head wound, we are in no way advising a tourniquet around the neck!
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to UGA For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (01-11-2011)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by UGA View Post

Darn. There are some people I would love to use a neck tourniquet on....head wound or not!

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

Thanks, UGA. I have picked up a copy of the US Special Forces Medical Handbook that you mentioned some time ago and have been going through it slowly, like a textbook.

Appreciate the comments on the Quick Clot.

There is also an emergency trauma tool called a SWAT-T.

This stands for SWAT-Tourniquet.

It resembles one of those flat rubber exercise bands. It is very easy to apply to a wounded friend, and not much harder to apply to yourself if need be.
    Made primarily for Police and EMT personnel, it is also very useful for hunters or future warfare with the islamic community.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SkivMarine For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (02-14-2011)

ASD Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by UGA View Post
    I did miss it, sorry...

I would say the 4x4's. The roll would be useful for an arm, leg or the head but otherwise wasted on the torso. The key to getting blood to clot as with anything else like Gauze or a towel, is not to remove the first item once it is saturated, you should add to it. Never remove saturated pads for new ones until the bleeding is stopped or under control. Removing them could remove the forming clot. Add another 4x4 as needed until it stops or you can get medical attention. Having a pack or two of 4x4's would be ideal. Regular Gauze to wrap and hold the pads in place also.

Don't forget about elevation and pressure...

Knowing where to apply pressure to arteries is also a must in a survival situation. If you are alone, and have a large cut on your arm, you could cut up your shirt (or anything) and ball up a fist sized portion. Using another piece you could place the fist size ball on the inside of your upper arm (center it between the bicep and tricep) and then tightly tie it in place with the other hand and your teeth, causing the ball to put pressure on the artery giving you use of both hands. The artery in the inner thigh is harder to do so a tourniquet would be needed in a severe situation. If possible, you should write down the time you applied it (finger dipped blood works) on your leg etc and loosen the pressure briefly every 15-20 minutes but still using pads placed directly on the wound to aid in clotting. Note I said loosen NOT release or remove! Depending on the injury and amount of blood loss, releasing a tourniquet could could cause a sudden drop in blood pressure and you could pass out and then bleed to death. You can use the ball method to place pressure directly on the wound, place it on top of the pads and tightly tie it in place, removing it only to add more pads. In case of an amputation, a tourniquet close to the amputation works. Tourniquets can be dangerous, if you lost a foot, you wouldn't want to put the tourniquet on your upper thigh and risk loosing the whole leg. An upper thigh tourniquet could assist with stopping the blood flow but it should still be loosened periodically to supply muscle and tissue with needed oxygen.

UGA..........I have two packages of the original Quick Clot powder form in my patrol car. I also have the bandages as well. Can you tell me why the company went away from making the powder form, because you don't seem to be able to find it anywhere, anymore. Was that particular style of the product just not as useful as the bandage style?

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    UGA..........I have two packages of the original Quick Clot powder form in my patrol car. I also have the bandages as well. Can you tell me why the company went away from making the powder form, because you don't seem to be able to find it anywhere, anymore. Was that particular style of the product just not as useful as the bandage style?
    Someone else may know much better than I but I remember reading/hearing that the powder makes it much more difficult to clean out the wound and do whatever is medically necessary when you are able to get to professional help.

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

The most important thing about using or applying any Quick-Clot item, is knowing how to use it. If you are going to carry Quick-Clot in your medical kit, you should get some training on how to apply it...it is not as simple as it seems.
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com