shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Star FireStar M-43 - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star FireStar M-43

Default Star FireStar M-43

Hello Everyone!

I've been carrying my Rami now for about 6 Months, and it's a great little gun. I like the weight. It's never failed since i broke it in. I like the feel of it, but it's really thick: almost 2 full inches at the grip (THAT'S THICK!! ) Also, I can't fit all of my fingers on it unless I have a grip extension on it (which adds to the length of the grip...(duh) which I'd like to keep as short as possible). I've done some looking, and some visiting of my local gun shops...and I think I've found the perfect replacement.

It's the Star Firestar M-43.

300px-Star_M43_Fir.jpg

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Star M-43 Firestar (also called the Star Firestar M-43) is a single-action semi-automatic pistol.It was produced by the now defunct Star Bonifacio Echeverria, S.A. in Eibar, Spain. The Firestar was imported into the United States by Interarms, Alexandria, Virginia. that fires the 9 mm Para pistol cartridge.

Although its external appearance resembles a compact M1911, its design is different in several respects. For example, the Star does not have the 1911's grip safety. Variants chambered for .40 S&W.45 ACP were also produced. The Firestar has operating procedures analogous to those of the Colt 1911: it's single action, and meant to be carried in Condition One (cocked and locked), with a cartridge in the chamber, cocked hammer and locked manual safety. The Firestar lacks both a grip safety and an automatic safety at the firing pin (many current 1911 models have both).

I really want a compact 1911 chambered in 9mm, but they'll all be pretty far out of my price range for a while. This little gun has all of the characteristics that I like about the Rami, and it also provides the grip length I need (due to a smaller trigger guard), and it it literally half the thickness.

So tell me folks. Go or no-go?

ASD's Official Spam Looker-Outer-Dude (OSLOD)

"[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texengineer View Post
    I really want a compact 1911 chambered in 9mm
    Okay, the "dinosaur" in me is about to roar. For me personally, "compact 1911 chambered in 9mm" is a contradiction of terms, kinda like a sub-compact, 40 mile to the gallon, "muscle" car.

1911 for me means one thing and one thing only, a .45ACP with a 5" Barrel and NO rail. There's an old saying in 1911 land, "The more the barrel length decreases, the more the problems increase". That said, they're amazingly popular.

The best example I've ever held and shot is Springfield's EMP, a true work of metallic functioning art. The price? Well, you get what you pay for so it's PRICEY!

I see a lot of Para Warthogs being carried. I've seen some that worked perfectly, and some that were jama-matics.

I luv single action in a full-size pistol, but I'm not a big fan of SA in a compact or sub-compact pistol. I have three compact 9mms that I carry regularly, a Springfield XD Sub-Compact, a Glock Model 26, and my all-time favorite, my Sig P239. All 3 have one thing in common, 100% out-of-the-box reliability. I know nowadays people tend to shy away from the DA/SA operation of the P239, but I've always liked that system in a compact pistol.

As far as the Star goes, any chance of renting one before you buy it?

If it were me Tex, I'd carry the RAMI, save my nickels, and put an EMP on LayAway. You can use the money the Star will cost you as your deposit. From what I'm hearing, an EMP is the pistol you really want.

Good Luck Tex,

Jim

"The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Trueblood For This Useful Post:

texengineer (01-20-2011)

ASD Senior Member

I'm with Jim on this one, a Springfield XDm in 9mm. Not expensive, but reliable as heck.
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12

Blog Entries

Star went out of business for one reason... they were not recognized as having the reliability required for self defense. I'm with Jim on this one also. It becomes a matter of why we really carry. Is it for self-protection or some other reason? To me, self-protection should be the only reason and therefore whatever is carried has to have 100% proven reliability. A single misfire in a civilian self defense situation will probably prove fatal. There is almost never a chance to clear and try again in a 7 yd. contest. I'd say save up for one of the newer, more solid performers.

Another 2 opinion.
    If Obama is the answer, the question must have been really stupid!
    Official Certification: This is to warrant that the above post contains a minimum of 90% recycled words.

Thanks guys. I needed to hear that. I'm just so caught up in saving for the wedding, and the honeymoon, and moving to a new city...that I feel bad about spending money when it seems that a less expensive option is available that will suffice.

You hit it on the head Jim; I really want an EMP. I don't like double-action autos in general. I prefer being able to carry in condition 1 (Hence the Zastava, the Rami, and the look at the Star). Britt said that if the EMP is what I really want, that I should hold off til I can get it; so, looks like that's the plan.

I do like the star though, and I might still get one eventually just for fun
    ASD's Official Spam Looker-Outer-Dude (OSLOD)

"[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by texengineer View Post
    moving to a new city...
    You're leaving the Old Pueblo?
    John Steinbeck

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

I have a Star M40 in .40 S&W. It was a great shooting pistol. Compact, but heavy since it is all steel. The only problem I have ever had with the pistol is that the extractor broke. So guess what I know have a M40 paperweight. I have checked every parts supplier out there and can't find an extractor. The gun has been inoperable for several years now. Like everyone else I 'd suggest saving for the EMP.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt T View Post
    I have a Star M40 in .40 S&W. I have checked every parts supplier out there and can't find an extractor. The gun has been inoperable for several years now.
    Sgt T,

It may take a little doing, but the below links may help.

Good Luck,

Jim

IPAR Guns, Espana
    Founded in 1997, this Eibar-based company is comprised mostly of former Star employees, including engineering staff. They purchased the bulk of the Star parts inventory, and have some Astra parts as well. This means they should have parts for every Star pistol ever made, especially the modern series which are so poorly represented in the US.

http://www.iparguns.com/ing/index.htm

http://www.star-firearms.com/info/parts.shtml
    John Steinbeck

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Trueblood For This Useful Post:

Sgt T (01-25-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Trueblood View Post
    You're leaving the Old Pueblo?
    I'm being shuttled out to my company's San Antonio office this week for an interview. If all goes well, and they have the resources to support me put there right now, I'll be heading back to the Lone Star State! everyone cross your fingers and say a prayer! I can go shooting with Scott and Rosemary more often!

I'm late to this party but great advise was given.

Neat looking pistol but i concur- not for self defense.