shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - A young generation's arguement on "Carrying on Campus" - The Original American Sheepdog!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A young generation's arguement on "Carrying on Campus"

Blog Entries

Default A young generation's arguement on "Carrying on Campus"

I apologise if this isn't relevant to the category, but I thought you all would be interested in some of the ideas our college youth has on the new bill up to be signed. I'm certain most of you have heard this garbage before but the following is a conversation taken off of Facebook today.
    I just don't understand people like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Amber Bowman
    THIS. CANNOT. HAPPEN.
    "Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus"
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110220/ap_on_re_us/us_guns_on_campus

Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus
    news.yahoo.com Texas is preparing to give college students and professors the right to carry guns on campus, adding momentum to a national campaign to open this part of society to firearms.

3 hours ago LikeUnlike Share

• Hayley Ace Mace just one more reason to move, yes? 3 hours ago LikeUnlike

• Amber Bowman Yes. I will never let my children go to a school where concealed weapons are permitted. I will immediately leave any school that does allow this. 3 hours ago LikeUnlike 2 peopleLoading...

• Amber Bowman Please, Texas? Please..... 3 hours ago LikeUnlike

• Hayley Ace Mace that's one option. i'm gonna homeschool geniuses, then send them to england for university. 3 hours ago LikeUnlike 2 peopleLoading...

• Eric Bowman how is this bad? 3 hours ago UnlikeLike 1 personLoading...

• Jonathan Caserta sounds like someone is moving sooner then later. ps. mini re-union on saturday 2 hours ago LikeUnlike

• Angel Navarette This follows the twisted logic they touted around after the Arizona shootings that if everyone on the street had a gun, the violence would not be so widespread. What they fail to realize is that some people there did have guns. I cannot fin...d a link to cite myself at the moment, but I believe at least two people spoke of an opportunity to shoot but shoot the shooter in a confused crowd of people? not so much. One person even took momentary aim at a bystander but was too unsure of whether he had the right person in his target.

guns don't grant mental clarity in a situation no one can be taught to expect.See More
        2 hours ago LikeUnlike 1 personLoading...

• Larry Hood I like the decision. Truly, if we had open carry and people used it, the badguy scum in the world would be too afraid to commit very many crimes. If open carry was used enough, there would be less need for local law enforcements. It's not s...o much the need to shoot, but the threat to of it happening that scares of the perps.

Kinda goes with a picture I saw once. "If your daughter was getting from her car to her front door and was attacked by a rapist, would you want her to have a condom, cell phone to call and wait fo rthe police, or a concealed handgun?"See More
        2 hours ago LikeUnlike

• Walter Raige You know, it sometimes bothers me that people I see every day advocate political ideas which, if implemented, would make me a criminal. I know that none of these people would ever personally chase me down, slap a pair of handcuffs on me, an...d lock me up for 10 years, but if given a chance to influence a political infrastructure to adopt policies which lead to just that, they don't hesitate. Am I really the criminal element of society? I try not to take it personally, but when the abstract ideas become concrete, what it boils down to is that people I call friends advocate the initiation of physical compulsion against others.See More
        about an hour ago LikeUnlike

• David Martin Cops have guns. People shoot at cops. So, the logic of thinking that having guns prevents violence is faulty. 54 minutes ago LikeUnlike

• Larry Hood More unarmed citizens are killed then armed with exception of military forces of course. 39 minutes ago LikeUnlike

• Mike Gallardo Yo, I don't speak out on politics very often but this is one thing I do not understand, why does ANYONE want a gun on a school campus? I understand the argument but realistically more people with more guns in more places equals MORE VIOLENCE. Which I'm about 100% sure no one wants. 31 minutes ago LikeUnlike

• Larry Hood to be able to carry a firearm in public, at least in the state of Texas, you need to have a CHL. If this law is passed, the only ones allowed to have a firearm on campus will be law enforcment and citizens who own and currently carry a vali...d CHL. Responsible people are going to take the classes, get certified, and respect the situation of carrying on campus. The ones who wouldn't go through the finger printing, classes, etc. and would carry a firearm on campus still likely already have them in the classrooms in the backpacks, wastebands, and purses as this is typed. Having more law abiding citizens armed legally and thoughtfully gives the good guys a hand up.See More
        22 minutes ago LikeUnlike

• Mike Gallardo You can SAY that but there are sociopaths who can pass psychological tests. Also you can say that you will be able to kill someone in the case of a shooter but realistically it takes a lot to pull that trigger. Not to mention you are going to have a shootout instead of just one shooter, if someone decides to pull out their gun. There are reasons that the old west was so deadly...Seriously, schools are for learning NOT for carrying guns. 18 minutes ago LikeUnlike

• Jennifer Holochwost Maybe allow the teachers to have guns, to defend their students in emergency. MAYBE. But the students? NO WAY. I would not go to school knowing that just anybody could have a gun in the classroom. Legally registered or not. After all, no one has a criminal record until their first offense, and I don't want to be there for the first student squabble gone bad. 16 minutes ago LikeUnlike 1 personLoading...

• Larry Hood The sociopaths will bring a gun to any number of places if they really desire to. I'm sure many already do concealed and no one knows they are carrying. If that person goes nutty, goes through a divorce, loses a love ones, gets fired, and w...hat have you and pulls the gun out to harm the world, I would hope he doesn't have a full room or cafeteria of unarmed targets cowering under the desks, but at least several competent members of society there to HOPEFULLY stop the crazy. I saw several because your right about the difficulty of performing such a severe task. I would hope that out of several, one might make a move and save his fellow classmen.See More
        12 minutes ago LikeUnlike

• Larry Hood say* 11 minutes ago LikeUnlike

• Mike Gallardo Someone might TRY to stop something but you have to realize that in reality it won't create a "hero" it will create more gunfire and confusion and possibly more deaths. Additionally I would argue that people are never as rational as they as...sume to be. Anger is a strong emotion, and who is to say that someone will not pull the gun and go "nutty" as you say more often because they have the weapon right there? This is very flawed logic, guns will increase violence. Their reason for existence is to create even MORE VIOLENCE.See More
        6 minutes ago LikeUnlike 1 personLoading...

• Larry Hood So based on 2 of your prior posts, disarming our military and law enforcement would increase our safety? 3 minutes ago LikeUnlike

• Mike Gallardo That's a different issue entirely. For what's it worth I do believe that we have made some mistakes and do not need to spend as much as we do on military spending. $600 billion a year is a little excessive and could be put to better use. a few seconds ago LikeUnlike

"First we've got population. Now, the world today has 6.8 billion people. That's headed up to about nine billion. Now, if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by, perhaps, 10 or 15 percent, but there we see an increase of about 1.3." ~ Evil Eugenicist BILL GATES at the TED conference

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

Larry,

If those are comments from people you are friends with on FB, then perhaps it's time to get new friends. Let the sheep get eaten by the wolves if they so choose. I personally try not to associate with stupid people.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Blog Entries

Yeah I think your right. I kept her on my list as a blast from the past and her "now" husband saved my life once. Maybe I should keep him and drop her.

This convo went on double as long but in the end I think I won. My last comment even the guy who was mostly against firearms liked my final comment.

Still irritating that so many of my peers are programmed to think thsi way.
    "First we've got population. Now, the world today has 6.8 billion people. That's headed up to about nine billion. Now, if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by, perhaps, 10 or 15 percent, but there we see an increase of about 1.3." ~ Evil Eugenicist BILL GATES at the TED conference

Administrator

Hi Larry! Welcome back, you have been missed!!

Good try with your friends trying to get them to see another side to the carry issue...I feel your pain here. My own sister still doesn't understand why I carry...she always asks me "who are you planning on shooting today?" She can't seem to grasp the concept or doesn't see the need for self protection because nothing has ever happened to her and she lives in a "safe" neighborhood (she is supposedly a very intelligent and highly educated person). I don't understand how we were raised in the same family by the same parents and have such totally different views on things. She sees me a paranoid gun nut but puts up with me because she love me and I'm her sister....I continue to try to educate the educator into at least being more aware of her surroundings and possible threats.

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rkbartley For This Useful Post:

Damaged_1 (03-02-2011)

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Here are some good resources to direct folks to.

http://www.a-human-right.com/introduction.html
    http://concealedcampus.org/

RK, as for your sister's comment, "who are you planning on shooting today?" I would answer "Everyone. But fortunately I probably won't have to."

There is an old saying, "Be courteous to everyone but have a plan to kill them." I know it sounds "extreme" (and totally not PC) but it brings home the concept that you never know who the wolves are and that you always need to be mentally and physically prepared to deal with them.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    VFW Life Member
    Member, USCCA

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sgt T For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (03-09-2011)

Blog Entries

My mother refuses to buy a small firearm for her protection. What I dont get about her is that she has been nearly raped/attacked multiple times, even recently. She relies on calling out to a husband thats not there or hoping that someone will hear her scream for safety. It angers me to think she make end up on the news because she was so stubborn and ignorant to hundreds of years of forethought.

In San Antonio we started having a huge spike in crimes rates. Ive worked at multiple bowling alleys and many of the ones I didn't work at were being robbed at gunpoint. I started talking to manangment about putting a shotgun under the counter or at LEAST paying to have volunteer workers to take a CHL. They refuse. They won't even let the couple that already do have CHLs bring them in the buildings. They believe "just giving them the money" will keep everyone safe. I get called paranoid when I urge peopl ein their second amendment investment, but noone calls them crazy for ignoring real threats.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Giving up the money is an option most business' support. In fact I don't have a problem with giving up the money and letting the VCA leave. Unfortunately they don't always leave. That is where I would be forced to exercise my right to self-defense. I would never allow myself to be led to the back of a store or anywhere else. Armed or not I would choose to resist in every possible way. If a workplace has a policy of no handguns, even with a CHL, then you have to decide if you want to work there or not. And then decide if you are going to follow policy. The idea behind concealed carry is that no one should ever know you are armed.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    VFW Life Member
    Member, USCCA

The way I figure it, an employer usually bans guns from the workplace as a way to shield themselves from litigation. They are more concerned about covering their butts, not yours.

Your job is to be more concerned about covering your butt instead of theirs. This is why I always carry, even against company policy. I can get another job but I cant get another life. They can get new employees to replace old dead ones and business rolls on. They can take their anti gun workplace policy's and stick them up their ***.

Bit of a sore spot with me yeah?

According to Larry Hood I should be a mass murderer!

I have been fired from my job (more than once). I have gotten divorced. I have become a raging alcoholic (now sober for over 7 years). I have lost loved ones.
    In other words; I've been through the $#&%ing wringer.

But in that time, never ONCE did I contemplate hurting anyone but MYSELF. These things do NOT automatically lead to criminal behavior. I'm damn sick and tired of hearing that.
    I am NOT a dangerous man to the average citizen. I AM dangerous to BAD GUYS.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SkivMarine View Post
    According to Larry Hood I should be a mass murderer!

I have been fired from my job (more than once). I have gotten divorced. I have become a raging alcoholic (now sober for over 7 years). I have lost loved ones.
    In other words; I've been through the $#&%ing wringer.

But in that time, never ONCE did I contemplate hurting anyone but MYSELF. These things do NOT automatically lead to criminal behavior. I'm damn sick and tired of hearing that.
    I am NOT a dangerous man to the average citizen. I AM dangerous to BAD GUYS.
    I don't think thats what Larry meant. High stress events in life push on the barriers of sanity in all people. The strong do as you did. You grew from it, moved on, maybe even picked up a new hobby. The ones not so strong go towards a darker side. Some may become antisocial, extremely angry, depressed, etc. If enough events happen in the right order and right timing the weaker mind will snap. He wasn't saying a divorcee WILL kill us all :) If that were true I'd be dead several times over.