shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Ways to get more "bang" for your buck? - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

Thread: Ways to get more "bang" for your buck?

Blog Entries

Question Ways to get more "bang" for your buck?

Are there any ways to go about getting firearms at cost or near that price?
    I know with MilSurp rifles you can sometimes buy them by the crate "10 at a time" and cut the cost, but how about newer guns?

I would love to have a much larger collection for myself but Im always unable $$ wise. I had heard that some gun shops will order and sell firearms for peace officers at price to save the law enforcment a hundred or so dollars per order. Im just wondering how an average citizen could get in on the same discount.
    "First we've got population. Now, the world today has 6.8 billion people. That's headed up to about nine billion. Now, if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by, perhaps, 10 or 15 percent, but there we see an increase of about 1.3." ~ Evil Eugenicist BILL GATES at the TED conference

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

Buying previously owned firearms from estates or private individuals is a great way to save. Also check pawn shops. I have purchased some really nice firearms from pawn shops for good prices. Keeping your eyes open and having a small sum of money saved up is helpful.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

I wondered about pawn shops but have never checked them out. I will now. Thanks, Sgt T.
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

Being knowledgeable about firearms is critical when looking at pawn shops. You need to know how to check the condition of a firearm and general value. Pawn shops have to be in full compliance with federal and local laws in order to operate. Police departments have officers who check pawn shops for stolen items, etc. So I have no problem with buying from them. You have to remember that cash is king. Pawn shops normally ask retail book value. But because they have a lower investment they will usually sale for less than retail. Sometimes, although not often enough for me, you can get a really good deal. A friend of mine bought a 1903A3 .30-06 Springfield in really good condition for $150. The pawn shop just thought it was some old gun. The value of the gun was in the area of $700-$900. Most pawn shops don't make this kind of mistake, darn it.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Blog Entries

The internet has hurt the barganing a bit. I got a super rare 1986 Bass from a shop in Abilene once for 100 bucks. Since then Ive never seen an unbelievable pricetag on merch. I've been checking pawn shops over the last few weeks and I have noticed they cycle their goods quick. Most Ive seen are either good condition and near new price or falling apart.

The only gun Ive studied up for inspecting was the m91-30. Beyond that Im not certain what to look for beyond the crown and the sights. I always feel like Im commiting a sin wihen I check the barrel too. I wish Pawn Shops kept their inventory online and updated.
    "First we've got population. Now, the world today has 6.8 billion people. That's headed up to about nine billion. Now, if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by, perhaps, 10 or 15 percent, but there we see an increase of about 1.3." ~ Evil Eugenicist BILL GATES at the TED conference

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

I'm always on the lookout for used Smith & Wesson revolvers. First, they're great bargains. I've picked up used .38 Specials and .357 Magnums in GOOD condition for $200 to $300. Second, they're easy to have serviced if need be, Smith and Wesson has great customer service even when you're not the original owner, and they're incredibly durable.
    Third, they're a whole lot less risky a purchase for the consumer as opposed to buying used auto pistols.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck