shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Distance shooting, more than 50 yards - The Original American Sheepdog!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distance shooting, more than 50 yards

Default Distance shooting, more than 50 yards

Until recently I have been limited to shooting indoors with my long guns, the maximum distance available was 25 yards. Now I have access to 300 yds.

With my long guns I have worked up to and am comfortable with 50 yards, just standing up with the regular targets that I use. The only scope is on the Ruger SR-22, which I had to do.

My question has to do with what is normally done when you move up to 100+ yards. I don't want to scope my Cx4 Storm or Henry. Do you normally use bigger targets? Rather than standing, is it customary to rest the rifle?

Sgt T, I know you have won the TX State Championships with a Cx4 at 100 yds, more than once I believe, I'd appreciate your input.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default sighting scopes and open sights.

Interesting question Eccentric ....
    when i sight a scoped rifle,or an open sight for that matter, the first thing I decide is how fast is the bullet going to be traveling. the .223 and 30-06 will be traveling nearly 3100 feet per second but the 40 cal. only travel about 1200-1500 feet per second so.... the 223 or 30-06 will travel 300 yards or 900 feet in about one third of a second which mean the bullet will drop about 10 feet in that time and distance while the 40 cal. (as will the 22 long rifle) will drop about 20 feet in the same time and distance if shot perfectly level ... so making the peak of the bullets arch the first target distants is the goal, the bullets drop from that point is predictable... the 200 yard mark is the peak of the bullet arch for the 223 and 30-06 but the one hundred yard mark is the peak of the 40 cal arch.
    I will take a small target and set it out to 25 yards with a scoped rifle that travels at near 3000 feet per second and will use the small target with "second lines" to center the scope. at 25 yards the bullet will be rising thru the target and will peak and begin to drop at the 200 yard position near the perfect 200 yard mark on my scope (redfield on a 30-06). once the scope is hitting the bullseye at the 25 yard line, i move the target out to the 200 yard line and make slight adjustments to hit the bullseye at the 200 yard line ... once that is done, the scope has markings for 200, 300, 400 and 500 yard distances based on average shooting conditions... so minor adjustments would still have to be made to compensate for shooting up hill, down hill or in a wind.
    on my cx4, the longer barrel allows the 40 cal to actually travel faster than the same bullet in a handgun because of barrel length, the 40 cal will travel 12-1500 feet per second so I make that adjustment to sight the rifle. again, i sight the rifle at the 25 yard line with a small target with "second" line to adjust the scope or open sight or both in the case of my cx4 ... but I only sight the slower bullet for the 100 yard (300 foot) distance and when the "zero is set at 100 yards" the time and distance to the 200 yard (600 foot) mark will be a half second to target and but since the peak of the ark will be at the 100 yard mark the bullet will drop only about 7.5 feet to the 200 yard mark so elevating your sight about 7.5 feet will bring the bullet to the bullseye if all else is equal.... six hundred feet with handgun ammo is a long shot. not sure this helped but I tried
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bebo For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (04-29-2011)

Thanks, Bebo. I've printed off your reply and will go over it again. The distance stuff is new to me,
    I need all the help I can get. I appreciate your time.
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.

You weren't expecting quantum physics were you?

I'm willing to work through whatever information I have to understand what I'm interested in; dog with a bone, you know?

I would still like to know if shooting at 100 yds. or more requires that the rifle be supported or not. I shoot at 50 just standing.

Anybody?

I am pretty new to long guns myself. I have always had shotguns and pistols. I guess if bb guns count I was the long gun expert as a child.

Recently I dipped my toe in the water and bought an
    AK-47. I measured off 100 yards and set up some soda cans. After some test shots for range, standing I hit 7 out of ten. Bracing on the pickup I hit 10 of 10.

Not really expert advise but I figure it depends on the shooter. Some folks can hit at 100 yards with pistols. Some people that aren't me that is.

The more I practice with the AK the more accurate I get. The test above was only my first outing. I am on the fence about getting some optics for the gun. Maybe I can hit three hundred yards. I dunno. Gun seems spot on but my understanding is that accuracy is hit or miss from one AK to another. Time will tell.
    Last edited by Decline; 05-01-2011 at 10:45 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Decline For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (05-03-2011)

I believe you're right, Declline, practice is everything and it probably does depend on the individual as to whether to rest the rifle or not. I want to try and use it without stabilizing it, the other is always an option.

I have the same dilema in regards to optics also. I want to use the iron sights only for as long as I can and then will add optics when it becomes necessary due to to my eyesight.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I was reading about some school where they train you to use rifles. The instructor said that the first thing he does is have his students remove all accessories. He said that accessories like optics cannot be depended on.

It made sense to me and so i have been reluctant to Add optics. That and they are really really expensive :)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Decline For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (05-04-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Decline View Post
    I was reading about some school where they train you to use rifles. The instructor said that the first thing he does is have his students remove all accessories. He said that accessories like optics cannot be depended on.

It made sense to me and so i have been reluctant to Add optics. That and they are really really expensive :)
    I agree with that instructor. It's the same principle with me and the lasers on my handguns. I have them and use them daily for dry fire practice. I also check to make sure they remain sighted in properly but do not use them when practicing at the range. I want to be able to use everything I have stripped down and basic and not be dependent on something that could fail. The scope had to be put on the Ruger .22--no iron sights.

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default dynamc movement shooting ...

I totally agree that shooting with basic iron sights is the best method for "realistic" shooting but scoped and laser sights are a great help and should also be trained with.
    I use bench shooting to test the accuracy of scopes and barrel and more importantly to practice with trigger control. practice shooting from prone, standing and bench shooting is all useful to develop shooting skills ... a fun thing to do that is easy and cheap is to buy a package of party balloons and blow them up and release them to roll across the ground in an open field with a cross wind or with a tail wind and let the balloons roll and move and bounce across the field. they are easy to see and have dynamic movement that can be a lot of fun to try to shoot as they take off across a field on a fairly windy day ... fun for rifles or handguns and good practice for shooting moving targets that do not react in a predictable fashion.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bebo For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (05-11-2011)