shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Distance shooting, more than 50 yards - Page 2 - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Distance shooting, more than 50 yards

Quote Originally Posted by Bebo View Post
    I totally agree that shooting with basic iron sights is the best method for "realistic" shooting but scoped and laser sights are a great help and should also be trained with.
    I use bench shooting to test the accuracy of scopes and barrel and more importantly to practice with trigger control. practice shooting from prone, standing and bench shooting is all useful to develop shooting skills ... a fun thing to do that is easy and cheap is to buy a package of party balloons and blow them up and release them to roll across the ground in an open field with a cross wind or with a tail wind and let the balloons roll and move and bounce across the field. they are easy to see and have dynamic movement that can be a lot of fun to try to shoot as they take off across a field on a fairly windy day ... fun for rifles or handguns and good practice for shooting moving targets that do not react in a predictable fashion.
    GREAT idea with the balloons!!!!!!
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

ASD Senior Member

For any sighting in of a rifle, I always use a rest. Remove as much arc of movement as possible to allow for a consistent sight picture, so any adjustment of the scope to zero is not having to take shooter movement into account. Once sighted in, then its up to the shooter to place a bullet accurately, as in hunting and no rest available, etc.
    Bebo, in your post you said bullet drop at 200 yrds would be 10 feet.....wouldn't that be 10 inches?
    The show Shooting Gallery had a show on a month or so ago describing the sighting in with an AR-15 in 5.56 and the differing drops anticipated with each yardage. I encourage anyone to get into the archives and watch it.
    I sight my hunting rifles in at 100 yards to bullseye. My scope is a Nikon Prostaff with BDC (bullet drop reticle) with approximate indicators for every 100 yards in range. I have found it to be quite accurate on my 30-06, having taken a deer at 282 yards, shooting uphill using the 3 dot down.
    With my 22 rifle, sighted to bullseye at 50 yards.
    Bill, I still admire your '06, that is a beautiful old gun and shoots real nice.
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmszbi For This Useful Post:

Bebo (08-14-2011), Eccentric (05-30-2011)

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmszbi View Post
    For any sighting in of a rifle, I always use a rest. Remove as much arc of movement as possible to allow for a consistent sight picture, so any adjustment of the scope to zero is not having to take shooter movement into account. Once sighted in, then its up to the shooter to place a bullet accurately, as in hunting and no rest available, etc.
    Bebo, in your post you said bullet drop at 200 yrds would be 10 feet.....wouldn't that be 10 inches?
    The show Shooting Gallery had a show on a month or so ago describing the sighting in with an AR-15 in 5.56 and the differing drops anticipated with each yardage. I encourage anyone to get into the archives and watch it.
    I sight my hunting rifles in at 100 yards to bullseye. My scope is a Nikon Prostaff with BDC (bullet drop reticle) with approximate indicators for every 100 yards in range. I have found it to be quite accurate on my 30-06, having taken a deer at 282 yards, shooting uphill using the 3 dot down.
    With my 22 rifle, sighted to bullseye at 50 yards.
    Bill, I still admire your '06, that is a beautiful old gun and shoots real nice.
    Hello MIchael, it is soooo nice to hear from you and you have been dearly missed on the forum and personally too ... I miss my shooting partner. let me know anytime you want to go shooting or lunch or anything.
    In my post, i was trying to discuss "newtons" law. bullets will drop at a constant 32 feet per second/per second.. so a handgun like the 45 with a bullet speed of 1000 feet per second would drop 17 feet in one half second if shot at a target 500 feet away ... but since the bullet will slow down over a 500 foot track, the bullet drop will be more than 17 feet. line of sight is a straight line just like a laser light but bullets have dramatic archs just like a baseball so while a bullet is traveling the 500 feet some of the distance will be climbing to the peak of the arch and some of the bullets flight will be droping at 32 feet per second. so you are right, the bullet will travel half the distance while climbing above the target and half the distance the bullet will be dropping... wind resistance would slow the bullet and hopefully it would only be 10 inches off but must be compensated for to take into account "newtons law".
    give me a call and we can go practice newtons law at the range again any time you want.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bebo For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (05-30-2011)

Administrator

Okay! Bebo, since Newton and I never got along very well I will take your word for it...and keep my shooting up close.

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

ASD Senior Member

Dude....you had me at 'Newton'.

Yea, I been gone, had to take a break for a while, needed to refocus some personal stuff.
    HUG YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM
    R.I.P. Zachary, 6/19/95-10/25/12

ASD Senior Member

My agency recently went to the range for firearms qualifications. I qualified with 2 handguns and my AR-15, and we all familiarized with the 12 gauge shotgun. The course of fire for the AR-15 was only 20 rounds @ 50 yards, standards set by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement(FDLE). Time of day was mid-morning on a bright, sunny day.
    Now, I have an Aimpoint Comp ML3 attached to my rifle, but it is for those situations where I may be in low light conditions, and the reason for that is because of my eyes. Yeah, I'm getting a little older now, and I just cannot see as well as I did when I was 27, 30-some-odd years ago. It's that whole "getting older" thing, but I digress.
    When I shot the course, I used the iron sights, not the Aimpoint. I was trained to use the iron sights in the U.S. Army, we didn't have optics attached to our M-16's. If you cannot qualify with the iron sights, you shouldn't be using the rifle. Anyway, when we were finished shooting, the training sergeant starting poking fun at me, telling the rest of the guys there that I must be one of the best shooters around because I hit the target all 20 times with the lens cover down on the Aimpoint. Then he tells them that he also noticed that I was using the large rear sight aperture while shooting and that the Aimpoint must just be for "balance"........ whatever that was supposed to mean.
    I simply told him "soldier first". You always rely on what you know best, and I know how to use those iron sights in broad daylight. Now I didn't use that small rear sight aperture because I simply cannot see through it very well, as everything appears to be very cloudy/foggy to me. But I can still see just fine with the large rear sight aperture.
    I guess the point I'm trying to make is this: use the basics(iron sights) before going to the add-on toys(optics).
    JMHO. Your opinion may differ.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suncat05 For This Useful Post:

Bebo (08-14-2011), Eccentric (02-14-2012)

ASD Senior Member

I have optics on a couple of my rifles, but I firmly believe that one needs to be able to use the basic iron sights before they even need to consider any add-on optics.
    I was trained to use an M-16 with iron sights when I joined the U.S. Army. When I qualify with my weapons during state mandated training with the Sheriff's Office, I use my iron sights. Yes, I have optics, but when I qualify I do not use them, because I have to show proficiency with them, and there is no better proficiency than using basic iron sights, and then moving up from there. The iron sights will never, ever take a dump on you when you need them the most.
    Stick to the basics, then move on and add to your skill set from there. The basics will keep you alive and in the fight. Or to say it another way, K.I.S.S.- Keep it Simple, Stupid!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suncat05 For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (02-14-2012), Jim Trueblood (02-14-2012)

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default co-witness is the only way to go...

hello suncat05, I agree with you totally in that knowing how to use the iron sights is critical because stuff fail, batteries go dead and scopes get bumped. I started using the larger fold down combat sights too because my eye sight is not what it used to be and I also make sure to align the scope or red dot sight with the larger fold down combat sight. this co-witness allow the iron sights and scope to verify each other for accuracy. by being able to fold the iron sight down and out the way, it does not obstuct the scope but if the scope and iron sight do not match up when i look down the scope with the iron sights folded into the up position I will rely on the iron sights first. the best of both worlds is to have your fold down combat iron sights and your optic aligned to co-witness the accuracy of each other.... good shooting with the lens cover on too.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bebo For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (02-14-2012), Jim Trueblood (02-14-2012), suncat05 (02-13-2012)

I've trusted my gut and agree with all here that iron sight proficiency comes first. 50 yds for center mass and head shots offhand are good, at 100 yds the center mass shots are good, working on the head shots.
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Eccentric For This Useful Post:

suncat05 (07-13-2013)