shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Springfield XDM .40 3.8" - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XDM .40 3.8"

Default Springfield XDM .40 3.8"

I have been looking at the Springfield XDM .40 3.8" pistol and was just wondering if anyone had any insight.

I currently own the XD40 Subcompact and would like to get this XDM for concealed carry and a range gun.
    "If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words" (Unkown).

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon14

You can't really go "wrong" with any XD or XDM. They're proven designs, totally reliable right out-of-the-box, as I'm sure you know from shooting yours . I have the XD 9mm Sub-Compact and I like it a lot.
    Last edited by Jim Trueblood; 05-04-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

Do you think that it is going to be much different from my XD? I was thinking about getting one this summer, but might get something different.

Also what do you guys think about the bi-tone vs black slides? Is the $100 worth it for the bi-tone?

Personally I don't like the looks of two tone guns although the XDM does seem to pull it off well. Have you ever had any issues with rust or finish on the slide of your current XD? If so it would be worth it to get the stainless steel slide, if not then it really just comes down to looks and lets not kid ourselves, job one is function and reliability, job 2 is concealability, job three is desirability. If you are a gun lover then you will never be satisfied with an ugly gun!

Here are some things to consider with an XDM:

The XDM is basically an upgrade of the XD40. It is the "Fast and Furious" version of the XD40

The XDM has a match grade barrel that makes the gun more accurate. Useful if you are a really good shot. Not so useful if the regular XD is already more accurate than you are...

You can change the back strap on the grip to make it fit your hand, if the regular one already fits then this wont help much

It has a heavy duty guide rod spring. This is supposed to make the recoil lighter. I doubt, with the laws of physics and all, that it is much of a difference but what do i know...

It has an MRT (minimal reset trigger) AKA short reset trigger this is actually pretty cool. It can help speed up your follow up shots provided you can get your sights back on target fast enough to make use of it. Even if you are not a target shooting wizard, a short reset is always better!!!!

It has deeper, longer slide grasp serrations for grip. I don't recall having a problem with the regular XD's serrations but i suppose if you ever get into a gun fight neck deep in lubricant you will wish you had these toothy serrations. IMO, this is really an appearance call. Of course I suppose more grip is always better...

The XD has an upgraded frame and grip texture. Again, not really a problem before but better is better.

I believe it holds 4 more rounds than the XD service model did. To me this is a moot point. longer magazines aren't hard to come by.

Bottom line: I held one and it felt awesome. If you are a HUGE XD fan then go for it. If you are just a happy Xd owner then i might branch out and try something new.. like a SHINY NEW 1911!!! Variety is the spice of life!

or not. whatever...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Decline For This Useful Post:

shibmaster (05-06-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by shibmaster View Post
    Do you think that it is going to be much different from my XD? I was thinking about getting one this summer, but might get something different.
    Also what do you guys think about the bi-tone vs black slides? Is the $100 worth it for the bi-tone?
    A little different yes, but not "much different". For a "range gun" I really prefer a barrel over 4". It's a lot more fun to shoot, and extends the variety of range activities you may want to try.
    Bi-Tone versus all-black is mostly an appearance thing that most seem to have a love/hate relationship with.
    John Steinbeck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Trueblood For This Useful Post:

shibmaster (05-06-2011)

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

I agree with Decline's analysis. I just bought an XDM 40/3.8. It was accurate out of the box ( if you are a proficient shooter and can determine if it is the gun or you). The small upgrades from the XD are nice (changeable backstraps) and I think the XDM is worth the money...but it is your call.
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

shibmaster (05-06-2011)

awesome feed back guys! Yeah I am a huge XD fan, but would also like to branch out. And ideas on some good conceal carry guns?

I currently own XD40 SC and Glock 19 (9mm Compact). I would like to stay within those calibers, but it isn't essential.

I used to have a Sig Sauer 2022 9mm. Awesome gun and at approx $500 it is in your price range. Someone wrote a skilled review on this forum of this gun. Check it out.

And ideas on some good conceal carry guns? I currently own XD40 SC and Glock 19 (9mm Compact). I would like to stay within those calibers, but it isn't essential.
    Take a long, hard look at the Ruger SR9mm. It's a great value and has the most comfortable polymer grip I've ever shot. It's amazingly thin for its 17 +1 capacity, light, and easy to carry. It's reliable and durable right out-of-the-box. It's one of the best bangs-for-your-bucks on the market, in the low $400 range out-the-door.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr9/models.html

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?pg=list&mfg=Ruger&mdl=SR9&cat=1&type= Semi-Automatic+Pistol&cal=9MM&fin=&sit=&zipcode=03598

Last edited by Jim Trueblood; 05-06-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    John Steinbeck

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

awesome feed back guys! Yeah I am a huge XD fan, but would also like to branch out. And ideas on some good conceal carry guns?

I currently own XD40 SC and Glock 19 (9mm Compact). I would like to stay within those calibers, but it isn't essential.
    I am going to be the first to respond to this question and you will probably get many more. ANY and EVERY gun is a good concealed carry gun!! It is not about the gun but about the equipment you choose and your clothing requirements. You can make most any gun fit concealed, but you will have to choose the correct equipment (dress and holster) to make the "gun" work. I live in Florida and I carry a SIG 229/40 in shorts and a T-Shirt...and NOT print!
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com