shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - IDPA Classifier - Page 2 - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IDPA Classifier

Quote Originally Posted by NWFFT View Post
    O.K. shot the IDPA classifier today and here are the honest results...I had a sharpshooter score going into stage three and blew the stage...ended up qualifying as novice, but only by 15 seconds. Wife BEAT my A%^!, made marksman by 5 seconds...so now I BOW.
    Got to respect an honest man... Congrats on a nice shoot! Tell Mama she did good! That's awesome...

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon14

Congrats to you both.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Trueblood For This Useful Post:

NWFFT (08-22-2011)

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Stage three was the 20 yard shots behind baracades. I admit that I have a mental issue about shooting long shots and I tend to "push" the gun, i.e. hit low. It is not a recoil anticipation. Any advice from the pros on this forum will be appreciated!
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

Administrator

I think that it is sooo very cool that you both shoot together! I would love for my husband to have an interest in shooting for fun, hobby, training....ANYTHING!!!!! Enjoy your time and training together.

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

Wink Get'n Back To Basics

Quote Originally Posted by NWFFT View Post
    I admit that I have a mental issue about shooting long shots and I tend to "push" the gun, i.e. hit low. It is not a recoil anticipation. Any advice from the pros on this forum will be appreciated!
    Not actually seeing you shoot in person, I can only tell you what I do when I need a fix. Whenever I'm not shooting sharp I go back to the basics and slow everything down. First I make sure my fundamentals are solid: Stance, Grip, Sight Alignment, Sight Picture, Trigger Control, Breathing, Follow-Thru. "Pushing the pistol" and "hitting low" is most closely associated with Grip and Trigger Control. I really concentrate on each individual fundamental.

Then I shoot a few SLOW-Fire strings of 5 rounds each, again thinking about my fundamentals. When I see those 5 round strings going exactly where I'm aiming, now I know it's not the sights, it's not the ammo, and it's not the pistol. When the added stress of timed-fire is introduced, if I miss, it's all me. I'll slowly increase my speed during practice while making sure I'm not sacrificing fundamentals for speed. I'd rather be quick, smooth, and accurate with all hits, than faster with misses. That works for me.

If you don't "push the gun" and "hit low" during this slow-fire practice, then it's the added stress of timed-fire and trying to shoot faster that's taking away from your accuracy. Like I said, without watching you shoot I can only tell you what I would do if it were me. I'd take a close look at my Grip and Trigger Control. I'm right-handed so I'd probably adjust my right-hand grip slightly to the left (clockwise), and also make sure I wasn't mashing the trigger.

I've no doubt with some field practice this will be an easy fix for you.

Good Luck, and Great Job to you and your wife.
    Last edited by Jim Trueblood; 08-23-2011 at 04:55 PM.
    John Steinbeck

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Trueblood For This Useful Post:

NWFFT (08-23-2011), rkbartley (08-23-2011)

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Jim,

Thank you very much for those re-assuring words! I do great at 10 yds or less, but when the distance gets to 20 yds, I get a mental issue; "i'm not sure that I can hit that". I think I have found the problem and it is a combination of a slightly loose grip and trigger control...I get too much finger involved...but only only on the long stage.
    Retired USAF
    Certified SIG Armorer
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (08-24-2011)

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

After a bad defeat, I discovered that my sights were off by .016...which is 2 inches at 20 yards. No excuse, but will re-group an shoot at least marksman, if not sharpshooter on the next classifier.
    Took my gun into my gunsmith and he even admitted, with a visual, that the sights were a little left. He corrected the sights, so stand by by for the next classifier.
    Competition and stress are great for defensive shooting. If you are not competing, you should!
    Retired USAF
    Certified SIG Armorer
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Had the sights adjusted and wife and I went to the range today. I shot 97% at 20 yards...that is a huge victory for me. Wife observed all my shots and gave me feedback...at first I was shooting a little left...too much trigger finger...correction made...then very slightly low...still a little push on the gun...correction made. The last 50 rounds, I put 47 of 50 onto a steel popper with a 6 inch midsection. I had a good day and have solved my issues with long shots.
    Thanks to all for being a very helpful family, no matter what the issue!
    Retired USAF
    Certified SIG Armorer
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

Sorry I'm late to the party. I had a brand new first time shooter/student today. When I moved her target further away I told her, "I am going to tell you a secret about shooting at greater distance, 'the gun doesn't care" and niether should you." A lot of shooters make shooting at distance a bigger deal than it is. I call this the "Six-inch Miss." That's because it's about six inches between your ears. If you can consistantly put five shots into a 1in x 1in square at 5 yds keeping your shots in a 8 in circle at 25 yards is doable. As for shooting low left, try keeping your thumbs up high and relaxed.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sgt T For This Useful Post:

NWFFT (09-15-2011)

Icon14

Good Job.
    John Steinbeck