shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - What do you carry? - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you carry?

ASD Senior Member

Default What do you carry?

When I am off-duty, I still carry a handgun. Now, I am a LEO, and required to carry off-duty by both agency policy & procedure, and by state law as well.
    I carry my agency issued H&K USP Compact in .40 S&W caliber most of the time. Other times I carry a S&W "J" frame .38 special Model 37. And a folding knife of some sort too, just because.
    Realizing, of course, that most of you here are not LEO's, but may be former military and certainly concealed carry permit holders, I was just wondering what those of you who wish to respond may carry.

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon6

Most commonly carried : Two S&W Snubs in .38 Special +P and a Glock 26 9mm.

Look Ma No Reloads.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

I am ex-Army and a Reserve Deputy, I also carry 24/7. On duty its my Department issue Glock 23. Otherwise it depends on how I'm dressed. My primary alters between my issued Glock and my Para-Ord Warthog .45. Bug is a Kel-Tec P3AT but looking at the Glock 27 to replace it. I always carry a pocket knife, either the SOG Trident or the SOG Flash II.
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

I carry a Glock 30SF in .45, and a Spyderco Endura Wave. My wife carries a Springfield XD40 SC in .40 and also a Spyderco Endura Wave. I carry my Glock in a Crossbreed holster at home and a severely modified Kholster at work. My wife 0carries her XD in her waistband with a gun mounted belt clip. I like the belt clip but the Glock has no external safety's and so i don't feel comfortable carrying it without that caseing of kydex and leather.

Another Concealed Carrier asked me the other day how often i carried. My wife and i were confused. I asked "carry what?" He said your guns. I asked him how often he wears clothes? He laughed and said pretty much all the time unless in bed or in the shower. I said thats how often i carry. He seemed surprised that i carry even at home mowing the lawn or taking out the trash. I explained that in my experience, the one time i neglect to bring my phone, there is an emergency and no one can find me, the one time i don't wear shoes in the car cause i am only going through a drive through, i have a flat. I know that i may never need to use my gun. I may never be in a restaurant when some sadist walks in the door with an AK, but the one time i get lazy or say its too hot, and don't go armed, THAT will be the time.

He said he understands that but it has been 105 degrees for weeks and he cant conceal his XD 9 and dress comfortably. My wife, who is not a big woman, lifted the bottom of her shirt, showing the butt of her XD. She said, i manage.

Obviously this guy still doesn't carry always and honestly, probably shouldn't.

Always carry. Its not paranoid, its prepared.

I carry a Hi-Point C9 9mm. It weighs about 20 pounds, but it's highly accurate out to 20 yds., and heavy and metallic enough to beat the bad guy to death if I should jam, or run out of ammo before he drops.

I'm looking to get a .38 J frame.

Quote Originally Posted by SkivMarine View Post
    I carry a Hi-Point C9 9mm. It weighs about 20 pounds, but it's highly accurate out to 20 yds., and heavy and metallic enough to beat the bad guy to death if I should jam, or run out of ammo before he drops.I'm looking to get a .38 J frame.
    I would be interested in hearing a review of the Hi-Point. Everyone seems to have an opinion but few seem to have any experience.

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by SkivMarine View Post
    I'm looking to get a .38 J frame.

S&W 442 Centennial Lightweight (15oz) is still a hard-to-beat, snag-free, ez-to-conceal, moderately priced carry piece.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=162810&mfg=Smith+%26+Wesson&mdl= 442&cat=1&type=Revolver&cal=38SP&fin=&sit=&zipcode =03598

"The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

I carry a CZ 2075 Rami loaded with 9mm Hornady Critical Defence, and a Boker Magnum pocket knife. I don't go anywhere without both. Sometimes I carry an extra 16 round magazine, also loaded with Critical Defence, but usually I just stick with the basics.

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

I carry a Springfield XDM40 compact in a Comp-tac minitaur IWB holster, fobus mag pouch with two extra mags full to capacity, and a S&W 642 .38 as a bug. I carried a SIG 229 in .40 for three years until I took CFS with Rob Pincus and his training changed me from the DA/SA to a DA (striker) pistol. If any one would like to hear the details on why I changed...ask and I can post here or send me a PM.
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

Quote Originally Posted by NWFFT View Post
    I carry a Springfield XDM40 compact in a Comp-tac minitaur IWB holster, fobus mag pouch with two extra mags full to capacity, and a S&W 642 .38 as a bug. I carried a SIG 229 in .40 for three years until I took CFS with Rob Pincus and his training changed me from the DA/SA to a DA (striker) pistol. If any one would like to hear the details on why I changed...ask and I can post here or send me a PM.
    I would love to hear why though you may want to start a new thread. I am always interested in learning something.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Decline For This Useful Post:

NWFFT (08-03-2011)