shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - 63 Year Old Widow Shoots, Kills Intruder - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

Thread: 63 Year Old Widow Shoots, Kills Intruder

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon14 63 Year Old Widow Shoots, Kills Intruder

It's not the problem of the 63 year old widow to figure out why an intoxicated man wearing only boxer shorts has entered her home at 1am!!! She "repeatedly" told him to leave (nice job) and he chose to advance.

Too bad if maybe he was too-high to understand what he was doing. It's common for violent criminals to always argue, "I'm an addict, I was high and didn't know what I was doing". Bull$#^!, they ALWAYS know what they're doing, it's just more fun for them to rape and murder when they're high.

This situation could have easily ended with the widow being an assault and/or rape and/or murder victim.

I just luv (sarcasm) the police Lts comment that when the man advanced "it was unclear what his intentions may have been."

Are you kidding me Lt.????? There's a little old lady, scared to death, repeatedly telling him to leave while pointing a gun at him.

What the hell was she supposed to THINK his intentions were? To give her a foot massage? Oh no, wait a minute, I've got it, of course, it was a strip-o-gram from her grand-kids to tell her how much they luv her. The little darlings, they figured if they sent it at 1am that would REALLY surprise grandma.

Good Lord man, connect the dots!

Phyllis sweetheart, not only did you do the right-thing, you did the ONLY-thing you could do to guarantee your safety. By-the-way, good job using a double-tap and scoring a head-shot.

Newport Woman Shoots Intruder

A female resident of a home on 16th Street in Newport shot and killed a man who authorities said was breaking into the home.
    The Enquirer/Patrick Reddy

10:35 PM, Aug. 1, 2011
    Written byBrenna Kelly
    bkelly@nky.com

NEWPORT – A 63-year-old widow shot and killed an intruder who was wearing only boxer shorts when he accosted her in her 16th Street home early Monday, police said.

Lt. Tom Collins, Newport’s acting police chief, said the incident was a tragedy for both the woman, Phyllis Maloney, and for the man who was fatally shot, Jordan R. Risheberger, 21, of Florence.

Detectives do not expect to file charges against Maloney because the investigation shows she was defending herself in her own home.

Risheberger had been attending a party near Maloney’s home, Collins said, and authorities were investigating whether Risheberger may have been under the influence of drugs or alcohol. It will take several weeks before blood-test results will be ready.

Collins gave this description of the events that unfolded around 1 a.m.:

Maloney was in her kitchen when the intruder came in through her unlocked back door. Maloney repeatedly told the man to get out of her house, but he continued to walk toward her. As the intruder followed her through the house, she grabbed the gun out of a kitchen drawer.

When the man made “an aggressive move” toward Maloney, she fired two shots, Collins said. One bullet struck the intruder in the head; he died at the scene.

Risheberger did not say anything to Maloney, and it was unclear what his intentions may have been, Collins said.

Collins declined to reveal the location where the party was held.

Collins emphasized that people who host parties should call police if any attendees leave in an intoxicated and/or distraught condition. Collins wouldn’t say whether that described Risheberger’s demeanor; it’s part of the ongoing investigation, he said.

Immediately after the shooting, Maloney called 911 and told dispatchers what happened, Collins said.

Under Kentucky’s self-defense law, homeowners have the right to defend themselves inside their homes. The law, often called “the castle doctrine,” states that a person “has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force.”

Police say Risheberger was a stranger to Maloney.

Break-ins are unusual in the neighborhood, Collins said.

Maloney’s next-door neighbor, Tom Schweigert, said he can’t remember a burglary in his 34 years living there.

Maloney, who went to stay with her brother after the incident, has lived alone with her two small dogs since her husband, Richard, died eight years ago, Schweigert said.

Richard Maloney was known as Mister Softee, because he drove the iconic ice cream truck around Newport for more than 32 years.

In recent years, Phyllis Maloney has been undergoing treatment for cancer. The chemotherapy left her weak and frail, Schweigert said, but she remained independent, coming and going from the house daily.

“She’s a tough old bird. … She’s a great neighbor,” he said.

Audra Baker, who has lived across the street from Schweigert and Maloney for about a year, called Maloney “the sweetest woman ever.”

Baker said she slept through the commotion until an officer knocked on her door at 3 a.m.

Baker has security cameras installed outside her recently renovated 1907 home.

One camera caught two flashes inside Maloney’s home, she said, but the cameras did not pick up images of the man near Maloney’s home.

Staff writer Janice Morse contributed.
    http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB...hoots-intruder
    Last edited by Jim Trueblood; 08-06-2011 at 03:50 PM.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default glad she is safe by her own hand...

Well thank God and some gun manufacturer that Mrs. Maloney was safe by her own hand .. shame that some dumb drunk 21 year old takes his clothes off somewhere and wonders into a house to do some bad stuff and gets shot in the head for his efforts, bet he wont do that again.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

I'm also glad the lady is O.K. I think she got a lucky shot because I bet she probably had never shot that gun...and fully believe that she no range time. A couple things about this SDS...the intruder entered through an "unlocked door at 1 am? Why was the door unlocked?...that was her only problem, but the police Lt...now he is a piece of work.

"Under Kentucky’s self-defense law, homeowners have the right to defend themselves inside their homes. The law, often called “the castle doctrine,” states that a person “has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force.”

Police say Risheberger was a stranger to Maloney.

Break-ins are unusual in the neighborhood, Collins said.

Maloney’s next-door neighbor, Tom Schweigert, said he can’t remember a burglary in his 34 years living there.

So is "often" called the castle Doctrine or is it ACTUALLY the Castle Doctrine?
    Every neighborhood is nice and break-ins are unusual...that is the most BS statement from an LEO.

I am done now. This sort of stuff with Sheeple and unknowledgeable LEOs just don't cut it with me!
    Last edited by NWFFT; 08-03-2011 at 05:02 PM.
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

@Bebo : LOL!! I'll bet your right!

1)Good job to the lady in the story
    2)to the neighbor: 63 year old lady's don't like being called "tough old birds", even if it's true. I especially don't advise that verbiage when they have a gun and can score head shots under duress.
    3) is sad we have to have LAWS to allow someone to defend themselves in their own home. Seems like it should go without saying.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Decline For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (08-03-2011)

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Decline View Post
    is sad we have to have LAWS to allow someone to defend themselves in their own home. Seems like it should go without saying.
    Sad indeed, but unfortunately oh so true.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck