shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Prisons- The Solution! - The Original American Sheepdog!

Thread: Prisons- The Solution!

Default Prisons- The Solution!

Prisons, the prison systems, and rights of prisoners has come up in multiple posts lately. I quote ASD member Decline as such, "I donít think that criminals want to go to prison I just think they donít not want to bad enough! I agree that prison, as bad as it is, should be a lot more unpleasant. I donít understand why we donít have chain gangs. it seems like a no brainer."

I agree. I was also thinking of how we could solve it and I got a spark of pure genius (not all that un common for a person of such a high caliber as myself ;) ) America has been on this slippery slope of outsourcing all our manufacturing and other such industries for the past 30ish years now (if not longer) and as far as I can tell aside from a few special cases with the CIA we have yet to outsource our prison system.... I say for hardened criminals that are sentenced to go away for more than 5 years we outsource their detention. I bet that other countries could imprison them for far less money than we can and as long as we assign Human Rights monitors and draw up some good business contracts I think it could work.

As Decline said, prison should be more miserable than it is right now and if we outsource it the prison system would be a little more "out of sight out of mind"

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

In a manner we already outsource our prisons through the use of private prisons. I do like your idea of outsourcing to other countrys. I recently spoke to a high-ranking LEO, who told me that he would like to see the US adopt the Penal Colony concept similar to what was portrayed in the movie Papillon, with Steve McQueen.

The prisoners would have to be self sufficient. They would have to grow their own food, produce their own products for trade, maintain their facilities. The remoteness of the location would negate the need for fences or a large staff of guards.

I do not like the fact that most prisoners have more creature comforts than the men and women serving overseas in combat zones. I would even suggest that for some prisoners (non-violent) they be able to serve their sentence in the armed forces in a combat role. At the end of their sentence they would be eligible to continue to serve or get out with a clean record.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Bring the chain-gangs back

Java, I'm sure you are aware of Silverdale here. It's run by a private corporation, and they have a lot of problems. From releasing the wrong inmate to a host of other things. I'm not sure if outsourcing it is better, but it may get around the government having to follow stricter guidelines to please the ACLU and other bleeding hearts. I have always supported the idea of the chain-gang concept. Get some labor out of them and lower our taxes.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio in Arizona is great. From the tent city and bologna sandwiches, to the pink stripes on their uniforms. No TV, no A/C, nothing! He even brought back the chain-gangs. He basically demoralizes them. His view, if you don't like it, don't come back! I think the music rapper DMX was locked up there recently, and he wasn't happy...;)

He even has a deadbeat parent hall of shame on their website, he is relentless.

http://www.mcso.org/index.php?a=Home
    Last edited by UGA; 05-11-2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added website
    It takes only seconds to call the police, waiting for them to arrive could take the rest of your life...

To clarify my position...... I had in mind something like oh... you get tried for murder, found guilty, sentenced to twenty years... Well you will be spending those twenty years in some back woods remote china prison. I'm talking about removing them from the continent as a whole. I figure if you run the prison in accordance with geneva convention rules and red cross standards then you should be ok. Im not for mistreatment. I am for no tv or internet. But this all hinges on the court system working perfectly. I always cringe when i hear of someone getting released after a new trial or dna proves that they are innocent. Some prosecutors are no better than the criminals they try to put away sometimes. Case in point the prosecution team that was going after Ted Stevens... They messed up the case so bad that the USAG called it off and the judge overseeing the case is looking into criminal charges agains the prosecution team.

OR we can turn prisions into factories where at least we can get something in return for putting these guys/women up in nice clean prisons. Think what we could do with all the nations criminals pumping out tiny little trinkets! Watch out China!

The company Omega Pacific (makers of climbing gear and carabiners) makes alot of thier carabiners in washington state minimum securities prisons.

I like the trinkets idea. I wonder if it would be plausable to require prisons to basically fund themselves. Turn the prison into a factory where the profits pay for the prison. If a regular factory makes enough to not only pay shareholders but also pay employees who then spend the money to clothe feed and house there familys then obviously there is enough money in factory work to support a prison.

heck maybe the concept of working for a living would stick.

Quote Originally Posted by decline View Post
    heck maybe the concept of working for a living would stick.
    ahahahahahhaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt T View Post
    I do not like the fact that most prisoners have more creature comforts than the men and women serving overseas in combat zones.
    Or even they having more creature comforts than the working poor.

Quote Originally Posted by UGA View Post
    Java, I'm sure you are aware of Silverdale here.
    Didn't know that place was privately run. Less than 2mi from my house, and they have a bad record of letting guys sneak out.

Quote Originally Posted by Decline View Post
    I like the trinkets idea. I wonder if it would be plausable to require prisons to basically fund themselves. Turn the prison into a factory where the profits pay for the prison.
    Or, tie bennies to prison factory performance. Prison turns a profit, then AC/ TV, internet, workout rooms, etc. No profits? Bare minimum existance.

Bill..... I like the way you think.

Yeah I didnt know Silverdale was priavately run either.