shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Tried trap and skeet shooting - The Original American Sheepdog!

Thread: Tried trap and skeet shooting

Default Tried trap and skeet shooting

Last weekend I was invited by a neighbor and his son to go trap and skeet shooting, something I had never tried before. After a few preliminary instructions, we went out.

We shot trap first and then skeet and while pulling the trigger on anything is fun for me, I discovered that this is not something I would get into. It reminded me of a board game with shotguns: standing in certain places within a box painted on the concrete and rotating to the next area with so many birds coming from one direction and then another.

Both my neighbor and his son were very good. I had to take myself to the range soon after to do what I do so I didn't feel like a complete incompetent after my pitiful performance on the trap and skeet course.
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon6

I hear ya. If you've never done skeet & trap before and want to feel like a fool, try it....LOL! I've been there. But with professional instruction, by the end of my first day I was breaking birds baby!

I will say this, people who practice skeet and trap tend to easily be capable of making the transition to any combat course that involves hitting moving targets. I study intently the techniques taught by professional skeet & trap instructors because when it comes to hitting moving targets, they're the best in the business.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Trueblood For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (09-05-2011)

Blog Entries

I had a very similar experience, and reacted in much the same way as you did.

A worthy sport that takes considerable skill, and glad I tried it out. But nope, not anything I'm really very interested in.

Rossi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossi For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (09-05-2011)

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default Beat Feet Skeet Shooting .....

Well geezzz ... for you guys that think skeet shooting is cool but not very exciting I have an idea .. I will sponser the very first annual sport called "Beat Feet Skeet Shooting Contest".

it is basically like the original skeet shooting but the main difference is the skeet are launched directly over head where they must be shot and the shooter has to get out from under the falling clay chards and shot gun BBs .. great fun and adds a whole new deminsion to the sport of skeet shooting. Okay so when I was young and living in the mountains outside Yosemite park, we had to develope our own entertainment, great fun when I was young and quick .. hummm not that anymore so might have the awards presented at the emergency room.

(Children should not try this at home, this sport was developed by professional crash test Dummys who manged to survive to adult hood .. barely)
    Last edited by Bebo; 09-04-2011 at 03:06 PM.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bebo For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (09-05-2011)

Icon14 Tom Knapp

I've had the privilege of attending a few Tom Knapp seminars over the years. Tom is the Michael Jordan of the shotgun, both pump and semi-auto, and one of the warmest, nicest, and most sincere instructors I've ever met in my life.

One Toss, Ten Shots, Ten Clays
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpv0yZC3iMM

http://www.tomknapp.net/
    Last edited by Jim Trueblood; 09-05-2011 at 11:08 AM.
    John Steinbeck

I did actually hit about a dozen birds....................still not for me. There are too many other goodies that I'd like to have but have not yet added to my present collection. I did notice that some of the other participants were a little more, hmmmmmmmm, "upscale"? One individual was pointed out to me that had a $10,000 shotgun...............

I can, however, see the logic in learning to hit moving targets (whatever they may be) with a shotgun.
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.

Ive been shooting skeet and trap since i was about 5 with my old man who worked at on a course at the time. he gave me 5 dollars a day to help him load the traps and maintain the range. (including shooting snakes with a .22) The Remington 870 I learned to shoot on was given to me on my 12th birthday and i still own it and shoot it regularly. It has had a face lift since the good ole days but it stays loaded at my bedside every night.

Back on track,
    I have never competed but I love the sport for the same reasons described above. Its also great bonding time with friends and loved ones.
    Last edited by TacticalKnine; 09-13-2011 at 10:46 PM.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TacticalKnine For This Useful Post:

Bebo (09-13-2011), Eccentric (09-18-2011), Jim Trueblood (09-14-2011), rkbartley (09-13-2011)

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalKnine View Post
    The Remington 870 I learned to shoot on was given to me on my 12th birthday and i still own it and shoot it regularly. It has had a face lift since the good ole days but it stays loaded at my bedside every night.
    The best-selling shotgun in the history of firearms is always a great choice.
    John Steinbeck

Interestingly, my neighbor/friend does not like, his words, handguns or black guns. We've all got our own thing that gets under our skin and requires frequent scratching!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eccentric For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (09-18-2011)

Cool

All schools of shooting need to be united on the ONE point of pure 2A rights for all law-abiding citizens when it comes to ownership of firearms. It's not a matter of "why would anyone need a gun like that?". It's a matter of our FREEDOM.

Sometimes I talk with "hunters" who own many rifles and shotguns. Not only do they not own any handguns, they don't care about any firearms law unless it affects their hunting. This of course plays right into the divide & conquer hands of the antis as many hunters gladly vote for anti-handgun politicians.

So I say to them, "What kind of vehicle do you drive?".

The typical answer is something like, "A crew-cab 8 cylinder pick-up".

Then I ask, "Why do you need a big truck like that?"

They respond, "Cause I like big trucks. I work hard, I pay my taxes, I pay for the gas, I obey the laws, and if I want a big truck that's what I'm gonna drive. It's nobody's business but mine"

Me, "Sorry, you don't need a truck that big, it uses too much gas, leaves too big a carbon footprint, and takes up too much room. The government should outlaw ownership of such trucks."

Sounds silly doesn't it? But to all you long-gunners and hunters out there who don't care about handgun rights, this is the same argument you make about my handguns. Some of us want that big truck, and some of us want that 35 mpg car.

What we BOTH want is the freedom to CHOOSE.

Last edited by Jim Trueblood; 09-18-2011 at 10:46 AM.
    John Steinbeck

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Trueblood For This Useful Post:

TacticalKnine (09-18-2011)