shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Is Open Carry What We Need... Or What We Want? - The Original American Sheepdog!

Thread: Is Open Carry What We Need... Or What We Want?

Blog Entries

Siren Is Open Carry What We Need... Or What We Want?

I see that the open carry discussion was briefly broached again in another thread, this time involving the Texas petition for open carry legislation. It might be surprising to some that not all ASD members agree with the open carry concept. You can include me in that category. I fought against open carry in Oklahoma when it came up last year. Would it be easier to open carry... absolutely. I could carry as big a gun as I wanted without the concern of it printing. Would it be safer... possibly so. It might deter some aggression toward me at some time. Would it promote aggression toward me... also possibly so. It might encourage the prospect of eliminating me as a threat to the deterrence of a planned criminal action. Would it enhance my social life... hardly. There is little question that I would quickly find myself ostracized within my own social world, even though most of my friends and associates are, at the very least, gun friendly. There is a distinctly different attitude toward open carry as opposed to concealed carry in the general public. If I, or most people that I know, walked into a restaurant in my state and found that eight of the thirty seated patrons were open carrying, I would without question, leave. If I owned a business that was open to the public, I would post it so as not to allow open carry. You simply could not afford the luxury of allowing it as it would drive off 60% of the customers.

Most active gun and 2A enthusiasts simply fail to realize the stigma that the majority of the population have regarding seeing guns in public. Remember the rifle toting individual at the political rally back in '08? That was far more negative to our cause than it was positive. The individual, though legally within his rights, was generally perceived as a radical fringe element that was a danger to society. We don't need this kind of publicity.

I personally believe that open carry laws will prove to be self-distructive in the long run. The backlash from this seemingly just legislation will be more than most of us will want to endure. As concealed carry people, we tend to wear blinders. We ignore or dismiss those who disagree with our viewpoints about guns and we even believe ourselves to be in the majority. Let new open carry laws pass in a few larger states and the response will be quick and effective from the anti-gun crowds. The few states that currently have open carry are not considered politically significant to the nation and are therefore basically ignored as a "cowboy" mentality. Let a couple of states like Texas or Pennsylvania or Tennessee or Virginia pass open carry and the whole nation will take notice and that notice will not be positive.

Each of us needs to sincerely ponder whether it is to our best advantage to support open carry. Put away the "cause the 2nd Amendment says I can" thoughts and consider whether it is the fight you want to take on at this time. The anti-gun crowd is getting ready to launch an all out assault on our rights to even own guns, let alone carry them. Open carry simply gives them more ammunition (pun intended) to use against us with the "neutral" public.

We are in a most serious of times. Our nation, as we know it, is in extreme danger of total collapse. The radical liberals are doing things today that we never imagined they could accomplish even 12 months ago (i.e. Occupy Wall Street). These are exactly the things that were a precursor of the Bolshevik Revolution, when the communists took over Russia. Now is the time to carefully pick our battles. I do not believe that open carry is one that will promote our cause or beliefs.

OK, gals and guys. I do expect some rebuttal, ya know! :-) (Since my smiles don't seem to be working)
    If Obama is the answer, the question must have been really stupid!
    Official Certification: This is to warrant that the above post contains a minimum of 90% recycled words.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dnola For This Useful Post:

Bebo (10-15-2011), NWFFT (10-16-2011), UGA (10-15-2011)

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

I have to agree with you dnola, I support other peoples right but do see some problems in the general publics perception ...by far, I see concealed carry as the more effective option and open carry as dangerous and more of a public statement than a deterent to dangerous threats. good post.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

For tactical reasons I prefer CC to OC.

The first time I ever witnessed OC was when I went to visit Bebo and mmszbi (sp) in Jan 2010 while on my way to Front Sight. We went to dinner and when mmszbi removed his jacket his firearm was exposed. I pointed that out to him and he told me Colorado had OC. No one else in the restaurant seemed to notice. In April of this year I moved to Nevada. Nevada doesn't have reciprocity with Texas so in order for me to legally carry it had to be open. I had noticed several folks OC and elected to do so as well. Now, maybe because it was Nevada, and specifically Pahrump which is close to Front Sight, rarely did anyone comment on my OC. Sometimes it would be, "Why do you have a gun?", "Oh, you have a gun, cool.", or sometimes "Thanks for OC." Whatever the comment it usually led to a brief conversation with the intent to educate. Education is the key to protecting our rights.

If you read my article on Sam Wolanyk you know that until recently California had OC. Gov. Brown signed something akin to an executive order banning OC in CA.This had nothing to do with crime control, but gun control and feel-good politics. Gov. Brown's executive order, according to liberal thinking, should have prevented a mad-man from walking into a hair salon and killing 8 people. (Sorry, I digress)

Anyway, California citizens had been making great strides in educating the public on OC and it was becoming more acceptable. That is until some pinhead politician with no regard for the California constitution and citizens....(sorry, couldn't help myself) My point is that whenever we give up a right or choose to deminish a right because it "may not be the right battle," we lose something. I fully support a person's decision to OC or CC or not carry. I also believe that responsible OC can further our cause. I am sure that when Rosa Parks set down in the front of a bus it made some folks uncomfortable.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Blog Entries

Smile Compradores de la atención! Press "1" for English... Attention shoppers!

We've all seen the Internet pictures of "Walmart shoppers;" everything from 300 lb. men in Speedos to 80 year old women in mini skirts. They have the "right," by law, to look like this in public. We've all been behind the Food Stamp recipient that deliberately takes 30 minutes to check out at the grocery store. It is their "right" to do this. We've witnessed Jesse Jackson Jr. recently state that the government should hire 15 million unemployed at $40,000 a year. He had the "right" to say that.

Jesse Jackson's idiot son did more to alienate his own ideas than to promote them. I consider the "Walmart shoppers" to be mentally and emotionally handicapped. The "entitled" food stamper makes us wish to ban food stamps. But they all were within their "rights."

As already stated, many consider open carry to be more of a public statement than a deterrent to aggression. Most that I know also consider it to represent an aggression in itself... a challenge to other's individual rights.

I prefer plain English to acronyms. From a tactical standpoint, OC refers to open container and CC refers to career criminal in many environs.
    If Obama is the answer, the question must have been really stupid!
    Official Certification: This is to warrant that the above post contains a minimum of 90% recycled words.

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

I also agree 100% with Dnola. I will keep my gun concealed for tactical reasons.
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat Focus® Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

Blog Entries

Nope, won't get a rise out of me, I totally agree, dnola.

Like "T", it's a tactical issue..... I would never give that intelligence to a perp.

I live in a border area, but neither Kansas or Missouri address OC frontally. There is no direct law against it, but basically by custom, it's just not done. And actually I like it like that. It's there, but there is no law against it.... if your made by an hysterical civilian, your not committing any crime. It just kinda' works for us.

The Mexican border is different. It's an armed camp, both sides. Open carry is allow on private property there, and border watch groups are allowed by contract to OC on other ranches. Several allow long guns.

It was becoming very difficult and expensive to fly to border watches, so I changed organizations to one where I could drive to. This is the only organization that I'd ever been with, visited with, or even heard about that demanded concealed carry.

I chaffed for part of that first year, but then I saw the wisdom of the practice. Almost all of it was to smoke the local press. They are like sheep..... if they don't see something, it's simply not there, and I would challenge any border watch outfit to show me better press relations than we have.

The guns are there. The Border Patrol, police departments the Polleros (Chicken wranglers --actually, coyotes), illegals, dopers, and citizens know we are heavily armed, but no one ever sees it. It's just the best way.

Rossi

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossi For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (10-18-2011)

Excellent topic Dnola! Been a while since we have had a topic that elicited such thorough responses.

I think open carry should be legal and left to the individual citizen to decide. Like many other issues, I feel that the best policy is to rely on individual discretion and have faith that the majority of gun carrying Americans have the common sense to make the appropriate decisions based on their situation.

If open carry was legal in TX I would carry concealed 90% of the time. I would love to have the option and be able to reveal my gun when the situation leads me to belive it would be advantageous. I also would enjoy the additional leeway when it comes to accidental exposures.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Decline For This Useful Post:

dnola (10-18-2011), rkbartley (10-18-2011)

In Ponchatoula, La., about 2 miles south of the intersection of I-55 and I-12

I don't even know if I could lawfully OC in my state, but I don't want to anyway. My only reason is if some bg decides this old man looks like an easy mark, I want it to be a surprise when I draw my weapon. I will never draw it unless I fear for my life, but I decided several years ago that if I pull it, I'm going to shoot it. When I lived on the river, I went around in my boat, hunting snakes, with my Ruger Single Six tied to my leg, and nobody ever mentioned it. Now I'm older, and prefer to keep my weapon concealed.

Roy