shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Surprise....I carry all the time! - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surprise....I carry all the time!

Administrator

Cool Surprise....I carry all the time!

I just had to post something here about this since you guys are the only ones I can talk to about it. Needless to say, I was surprised.

The family and I attended a wedding this evening...a very nice, catered affair with dancing, a bar, etc. About 9:45 hubby and I were making the rounds to say our goodbyes and my youngest son gives me a hug. I will tell you all now that immediate family are the only ones I am 'casual' with when it comes to hugs. When his left hand bumped the appendage behind my right hip he got a funny look on his face and said, "Here?" (meaning at a wedding). My only reply was, "Everywhere." Then my darling son, who I thought understood better than anyone in the family my thoughts and feeling concerning concealed carry, looks at his older brother and says in an exasperated tone, "Hug your mother..." My oldest son, bless his heart, just said, "Don't need to...she's guarding the beer."

I guess what I am trying to say is to always be aware and never assume the people around you, 1) are okay with it if they know you carry, 2) always assume that you carry just because you can. Have the conversation with the ones that need to know...and then have it again, over and over until they know it. Anyway...that is my story for the evening.

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rkbartley For This Useful Post:

Bebo (09-17-2011), dnola (09-18-2011), Eccentric (09-18-2011), Jim Trueblood (09-17-2011), Sgt T (09-17-2011), suncat05 (02-13-2012), UGA (09-17-2011)

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

Default Baby goes with you everywhere...

Rosemary, I knew you carried all the time, "Baby" is always close by.
    It killed me to have to put my kimber in a lock box when I crossed over the state line into california a couple weeks ago .. just felt totally wrong. hope that HR822 passes this years so that CCW holders can carry all the time and not become felons when crossing a state line. hope your head aches are getting better.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bebo For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (09-17-2011)

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon14

Excellent Point RKB!

I'm sure the folks inhaling breakfast at the Nevada IHOP recently never imagined a man-gone-mad would show up with a rifle and start shooting people. Evil blossoms in the presence of the unprepared.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

Administrator

Icon6 'Baby' & Multitasking...

Quote Originally Posted by Bebo View Post
    "Baby" is always close by.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Trueblood View Post
    I'm sure the folks inhaling breakfast at the Nevada IHOP recently never imagined a man-gone-mad would show up with a rifle and start shooting people. Evil blossoms in the presence of the unprepared.
    Bebo, you are sooo correct. My little 'Baby' is always snuggled up close somewhere (whenever the law allows anyway ). Everyone should have a 'Baby' which is so easy to wear and conceal!
    And Jim, I was thinking that very thing while having breakfast with the DIL's family at IHOP in Pflugerville this morning. It's a big place...Very busy with a very diverse clientele. My multitasking skills were put to the test....between visiting with out of state guests, grandchildren and keeping an eye on the surroundings...oh yeah, and eating those really tasty Harvest Nut & Grain pancakes!!

(and the head is getting better...thanks Bebo!)

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

Sorry that happened RK. It must have kinda hurt.

I always bothers me when I hear that type of comment from people. That is what separates us from the sheep. We are aware that innocent peaceful places like a wedding are EXACTLY the kind of places that tragedy can strike. Some folks would think I was going overboard carrying at church but truth be told I would rather go into a convieince store at 3am unarmed than a church service. I guess being a sheepdog means we never underestimate the cruelty and opportunistic nature of true evil.

"safe is a full hand and a good sight picture"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Decline For This Useful Post:

mmszbi (09-23-2011), rkbartley (09-17-2011)

Super Moderator
    A tent in the Mojave Desert next to Front Sight Training Institute
    Blog Entries

I am afraid that the lone psycho is not the only threat we need to be aware of. Just because we haven't had a significant terrorist incident on US soil since 9/11 doesn't mean it's not going to happen. A Mumbai style attack is one of the most likey scenarios being discussed in the self-defense community/LE/gov't. If the middle east is an indicator weddings get attacked or bombed on a regular basis.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    TSRA Benefactor Life Member
    VFW Life Member
    Member, Optimist International
    Member, USCCA
    Former Juvenile Boot Camp Drill Instructor
    Former USAF/Security Police
    Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sgt T For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (09-18-2011), rkbartley (09-18-2011)

Good post!

Always carry, everywhere! I've talked to several people who were "scolded" by LE for not carrying. You never know when or where.........

Good point, SgtT.
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt T View Post
    I am afraid that the lone psycho is not the only threat we need to be aware of. Just because we haven't had a significant terrorist incident on US soil since 9/11 doesn't mean it's not going to happen. A Mumbai style attack is one of the most likey scenarios being discussed in the self-defense community/LE/gov't. If the middle east is an indicator weddings get attacked or bombed on a regular basis.
    Another message for our friends and families is that in the kind of attack described by Sgt T, one concealed carrier is highly unlikely to prevail. If 10 to 15 people at a wedding were carrying instead of relying on Momma or Uncle Joe to be the sheepdog, it is likely that none of the attackers would survive.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Decline For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (09-18-2011)

I haven't been asked the question; "why do you carry a gun?" yet. But I'm ready for it.

I will point the questioner to the scene in "A Few Good Men" when Jack Nicholson says; "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!" and proceeds to tell that little pip squeak what it means to have a dangerous world, and to have us guardians on the wall.

The United States is, for the most part, a peaceful place to live. The chance of being involved in a violent crime is rather small, despite what we keep hearing on TV. Most people we deal with on a daily basis are quite good, and nice. That speaks well of the Angelic part of our natures.

But those of us who carry know that the potential for evil is very real, and can invade our peaceful places without warning.

Those moments of sheer horror take only seconds to arise. Sometimes those moments are over quickly, and sometimes they go on for what seems an eternity.

How many times have we seen it happen, where some crazy SOB takes a rifle and kills a bunch of innocent people in a single reign of terror. And how often have we heard the perp described as "someone who kept to himself", or "never hurt anyone"? Or we hear; "he was such a nice guy!! I can't imagine him hurting a fly!!".

Evil doesn't wear a special sign. A burglar doesn't wear a stripped shirt, and a mask. And bad guys don't hang out in "abandoned warehouses".
    Evil lives next door. It lives up the street. It lives in the darkest recesses of even the kindest of us.
    We have no real way of predicting when it will hit us.
    That's why I still believe in the Boy Scout Slogan; "Be Prepared".

I used to have even my mom make fun of that slogan. Good ol' mom.
    And kids in school made fun of me being a Boy Scout.
    The reason I mention this is the fact that it is SO easy to poo poo the preparation of the Sheepdog. It is SO easy to think that things will always be safe. It is SO easy to relax our guard.
    But we know, being Sheepdogs, that to relax our guard because we "don't think it can happen here" is to disarm ourselves when the wolf may be knocking on the door.

Geez, I talk alot.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SkivMarine For This Useful Post:

Bebo (09-23-2011), dnola (09-26-2011), Eccentric (09-24-2011), Jim Trueblood (09-23-2011), mmszbi (09-23-2011), rkbartley (09-23-2011)

Blog Entries

"T".... I might submit that the Times Square bomber was successful. To me, that thing was HUGE in it's significance. But I see what your saying. One must always(!) be armed.

Rossi