shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Article: Is Open Carry What We Need... Or What We Want? - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

Article: Article: Is Open Carry What We Need... Or What We Want?

1. Join Date
    May 2009
    Blog Entries

Jump to Comments

Article: Is Open Carry What We Need... Or What We Want?

4 Comments by dnola Published on 10-15-2011 10:47 PM
    If Obama is the answer, the question must have been really stupid!
    Official Certification: This is to warrant that the above post contains a minimum of 90% recycled words.

2. Total Comments 4

Comments

Hello from FL. where open carry is on the works. Our laws recently changed to allow open carry while fishing, huntin, camping, etc. without a CCW permit; I had the opportunity to live in the state of Virginia (Northern Virginia) where there is open carry, walked around town, rode my motorcycle, fished in ponds and was never harrased by the law or the citicense. I believe that the Fairfax County police was educated on our freedom to open carry and that makes a big difference on how people react to guns on the open. I look forward to the same response in the state of FL. EDUCATION is the key.
    Best regards.

I like having the open carry option. From a tactical standpoint it's not always wise, but it sure would be nice to acclimate the public to seeing guns without going into panic mode. I grew up around a lot of LEOs so seeing guns was not a big deal but the general public has been educated to view them in a very negative way.

I've had friends who have been in AZ and they said it was cool to see the open carry. I ran across one guy in GA in a grocery store and I know I smiled.
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon14

I've lived in two different states that both had Open Carry, and when CCW legislation was introduced we didn't want CCW to replace Open Carry. Working with both local and national NRA, as well as ALL pro-2a local and state politicians ( republican, democrat, independent, libertarian) we made certain that Open Carry remained the law of the land.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

Blog Entries

Interesting thread.

We had a brush with open carry just this fall. In Overland Park, Ks (burb of Kansas City), like other Kansas towns, fall all over themselves to "out-2A" the next town's laws. Very refreshing attitude, but sometimes gets them in a little trouble.

As an example, there were no restrictions on the policy other than being age 21. Gee, a guy wants to get a concealed carry license, but why bother, when you can open carry?

Let's see, a 19-year old has been carrying a Star Wars blaster in the Sand Box for 2 years and all he can have is a water gun in Overland Park?

The latest is that, as usual for politicians, "studying the matter further." In the state of Kansas, there is no law regarding open carry. It's a case by case basis. Actually, in 35 years in this area I've never seen 1 open carry. It's just not done for the same reasons most of us do.... who wants to give away the advantage of surprise?

Plenty of CCW's though. Kansas is incredibly Red State. Too bad we are fly-over country with only 4 electoral votes

Rossi

Similar Articles

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-23-2012, 08:43 PM
  2. California: Would open carry ban effect concealed carry?
    By Newt in forum NRA-ILA Current Legislation - Auto Feed
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 09:35 AM
  3. Article: Open Carry Deters Robbery
    By Sgt T in forum ASD Magazine Article Comments
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-27-2010, 11:05 PM
  4. The Right To Open Carry
    By dnola in forum Gun Laws & 2A Politics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 09:53 AM
  5. Open Carry?