shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Ruger LC9 experience? - The Original American Sheepdog!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LC9 experience?

Default Ruger LC9 experience?

My wife is interested in the Ruger LC9. Anybody shot one or heard anything?

I've heard good things about them. No personal experience with one, but I've read a few range reports and they seem like a generally good handgun.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gnarSKYLER For This Useful Post:

Decline (11-01-2011)

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Decline,

I have never shot that particular gun but it is "a generation removed" from the Keltec .32/9mm...same frame size and a composite frame. The question she must answer is does the gun "fit", and can she manage the recoil from a small, composite frame gun...and 9mm is going to have more recoil than the .380 model.
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat Focus® Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

Decline (11-01-2011), rkbartley (10-31-2011)

She is currently carrying a XD40 subcompact. She has a history of .45's and .357's so am have no concern about her being able to shoot it. She tried on a Kahr CM9, Taurus Slim, Walther PPK9, and a Kel Tec PF9. She Liked the ultra concealability of the Ruger and said it fit her hand the best out of the others mentioned above.

I have yet to hear a bad report on the gun so hopefully it turns out well...

ASD Senior Member

My daughter LOVES her Ruger LC9, and I like it so much that if I am ever able to get the funds together to do so I am going to buy one as my BUG and my off-duty carry gun too.
    I have never been a big Ruger fan outside of their rifles, but this has changed my mind about their handguns.
    Her Ruger LC9 has a very smooth trigger pull. Just a nice, compact, reliable, concealable handgun in the most common caliber available.
    I put Hornady Critical Duty in her magazines. I have zero worries about her safety now.

ASD Senior Member

I had been looking for another type of ammo for her to carry in her LC9 because she told me that sometimes the gun, when fired, felt a little "snappy" in her hand. So we tried several types of ammo in some testing. We stuck with Hornady, but instead of the Critical Duty, we went instead with the Hornady Critical Defense 9 mm "Lite" ammo. 100 grain 9mm that has very good ballistics reports and is not at all "snappy". Of course, that comes from the very short length of the barrel, and she is a small woman. But she loves the 9mm "Lite", so all of the experimentation was well worth it for me to be sure that she has the best that I can get for her for self-defense purposes.
    And I took the Critical Duty ammo for myself, as I am seriously considering getting another LC9 for Mom and myself. If I can ever get the funds together for that.

ASD Senior Member

As I said before, outside of their rifles, I was not a big fan of Ruger handguns. However, after having put lots of rounds through my daughter's Ruger LC9, I'm on board the Ruger train now.
    A friend of mine bought a Ruger SR40, and we put some rounds, maybe about 300 or so through it. Very nice handgun. Trigger is fairly smooth, it fits well in the hand, and is accurate. And it is easily concealable.
    Still looking at getting Ruger LC9's for "the Boss" and myself, and thanks to President Trump enforcing immigration laws now, I am finally making some extra money again. I'm certainly a lot closer to getting them now than I was this time last year.

THANK YOU PRESIDENT TRUMP!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to suncat05 For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (08-08-2017)

I got it for my brother but I love it more.

This is a rugged gun with nylon grip but compact and lightweight. It has a visual inspection port that allows you to confirm if the chamber is loaded or empty. The best feature of this gun is its trigger - small, light and smooth.

This is one of the best guns that I've handled. Go for it, your wife will love it.
    Last edited by jerrybohn; 11-28-2017 at 01:10 AM.
    Saw this blogpost where people are discussing phenq

I enjoyed it.It is lightweight and good looking stylish shotgun.I would recommend one should have it if you are opting for a shotgun.

I have yet to meet a woman who likes shooting her Ruger LC9. Yes, the LC9 is comfortable to carry; but, even with a laser, it's a tough little plastic frame pistol that's difficult to shoot straight at even so much as 10 - 12 yards.