shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - your concealed carry history - The Original American Sheepdog!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: your concealed carry history

Default your concealed carry history

So, how long has everyone been carrying? And throughout your time carrying, have you stuck with the same firearm, or have you used a variety of different weapons?

I've been carrying about a year now. I still carry my 9mm. But I want to get a .38. The 9mm is a little hard on my hands during live fire.

I'm also certified on the M26 and X26 Tazer, which I carry when I'm doing fugitive recovery. Tazers are easy to shoot. And fun to watch the bad guy twitch on the ground.

This is a bit embarrasing for me since it has taken a LOT of experimentation, guns, and holsters to find my carry weapon. The Gun store guys get very excited when they see me come in the door.

Here are the guns i have carried since i got my license about 3 years ago.

Kimber Ultra Carry 2 .45
    Kel-Tec Pf-9 9mm
    Sig Sauer 2022 9mm (Amazing Gun)
    Taurus 605 .357
    Glock 30SF .45 (Amazing Gun)
    Ruger SP101 .357

The Ruger seems to have finally hit the sweet spot of concealability, comfort, power, accuracy, and reliability. I certainly hope i am done because as we all know, guns are VERY expensive and i cant afford this two guns a year thing...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Decline For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (12-02-2011)

Hey Skiv-
    Have you shot a .38 recently? I dont know that a .38 is going to solve your problem. Even in .38 a revolver is going to hit you in the hand harder than a 9mm unless you are carrying a FULL SIZE (like raging bull size)steel frame revolver. If the 9mm is recoiling hard enough to hurt then you may have to look into a compact (not sub compact) .380. I wonder if your Hi-Point is designed in a way that is transfering more felt recoil than normal. I have no experiance with Hi-Point so i am only speculating...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Decline For This Useful Post:

NWFFT (10-31-2011), rkbartley (10-31-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Decline View Post
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2 .45
    Kel-Tec Pf-9 9mm
    Sig Sauer 2022 9mm (Amazing Gun)
    Taurus 605 .357
    Glock 30SF .45 (Amazing Gun)
    Ruger SP101 .357

The Ruger seems to have finally hit the sweet spot of concealability, comfort, power, accuracy, and reliability. I certainly hope i am done because as we all know, guns are VERY expensive and i cant afford this two guns a year thing...
    I'm going to purchase a Sig Sauer SP 2022 on Friday. I'm going to use it for my EDC. I've heard a lot of back and forth about it, but over all it seems to get a pretty good rep.

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

Hey Skiv-
    Have you shot a .38 recently? I dont know that a .38 is going to solve your problem. Even in .38 a revolver is going to hit you in the hand harder than a 9mm unless you are carrying a FULL SIZE (like raging bull size)steel frame revolver. If the 9mm is recoiling hard enough to hurt then you may have to look into a compact (not sub compact) .380. I wonder if your Hi-Point is designed in a way that is transfering more felt recoil than normal. I have no experiance with Hi-Point so i am only speculating...
    Skiv,

I agree totally with Decline and add the following..the High Point firearms are cheap and not well constructed for consistent shooting. I had a student bring a High Point 9MM to my class right out of the box and it had failures to feed every third round, he actually had one round not eject and go "back" into the chamber backwards. I am not trying to be harsh on purchased guns...but sometimes the truth hurts. The .380's are small so the recoil will be like a snub nose .38. I would recommend a Glock, Springfield XD/XDM, or Smith M&P in 9 MM...somewhat larger gun, less recoil and very SIMPLE to shoot in the context of a gunfight!
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

Decline (11-01-2011), mmszbi (11-28-2011), rkbartley (10-31-2011)

I absolutly loved mine! Here is my review:
    http://www.americansheepdog.com/Foru...-SP2022-review

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Decline For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (11-01-2011)

I absolutly loved mine! Here is my review:
    http://www.americansheepdog.com/Foru...-SP2022-review
    Thanks for the link. So what made you move on to a different firearm for carry?

I belive that ideally you should only have one primary CCW weapon. One weapon for work, home, church etc. I also want one carry position. I am working with the concept that simple is fast and instinctual. The Sig was too big to carry concealed at the very physical job I was working at. Lots of bending and reaching in constant view of customers. I had to go to a more concealable weapon. Hated to see the Sig go though.

That's probably the case. It is a top heavy gun. About 2 weeks ago I put about 200 rounds through her, and switched off with a .40 Glock a friend of mine owns. The Glock had a muzzle compensator that reduced the climb of the climb a bit, but still whacked my hands pretty well. When I switched back to my 9mm I could really feel the difference. The 9mm had a lighter recoil than I thought. I guess my hands are getting as old as the rest of me.