shopify analytics ecommerce
ASD - Diminished caliber practice - The Original American Sheepdog!
Click Me

Thread: Diminished caliber practice

Hybrid View

Default Diminished caliber practice

I hear a lot of folks in magazines and podcasts etc saying they get a lot of value out of practicing their self-defense shooting with a smaller caliber via a .22 conversion kit, a Glock or XD of a smaller caliber than the Glock/XD you carry or .38 in your .357.

My question is: is this really a good idea? I carry a .357 revolver. .38 is cheap and has half the felt recoil of the .357. That's great except the mellow recoil makes follow up shots drastically diffrent than the magnum load. Am I wasting time and money with .38 practice or do the honed skills transfer to the .357 seamlessly?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Decline For This Useful Post:

Eccentric (12-01-2011), Jim Trueblood (11-29-2011), rkbartley (11-29-2011), UGA (11-29-2011)

Administrator

Excellent question. I love plinking with a .22 and guess it does help keep sight alignment, ect. sharp...but I understand what you are saying. For instance, the trigger on my .22 is quite light compared to my HK or derringer (both somewhere around 12 lbs) so I don't consider "plinking" with the .22 as a replacement for practice with either of the other....it is just that, plinking for fun. Looking forward to others perspectives.

rkb
    rkb

Member:

NRA
    TSRA
    TCHA
    USCCA
    OES, PM #316

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samual Adams
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."- Thomas Jefferson

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rkbartley For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (12-03-2011)

ASD Senior Member Jim Trueblood's Avatar

Icon14 "Practice Doesn't Make Perfect....."

Yes, it's a very good idea.

I do it all the time, especially with my lightweight snubbies (13-15 oz). I'll shoot 50 .38 range-loads, really concentrating on fundamentals, followed by 20 rounds of .38 +P or +P+. The more perfect I become with the range-loads, the better I get with the full-power loads.

The 7 fundamentals of shooting are the 7 fundamentals of shooting, no matter what Handgun / Caliber / Load you're using.
    Stance, Grip, Sight Alignment, Sight Picture, Trigger Control, Breathing, and Follow-Through are all easier to master when using lighter-loads for a lot of practice. It's also much easier to zero-in on where mistakes are being made as the lighter-loads greatly reduce felt recoil which reduces mental stress.

Professional shooters shoot thousands of reduced-power loads in practice every week. I'm pretty sure Jerry Miculek can hit what he's aiming at no matter what handgun caliber or load he's using.
    http://www.jerrymiculek.com/

Does that mean you don't practice with your self-defense loads? Of course not. Use .38 Special range-loads to save money, save your hand, and make shooting more fun, but most of all use them to become a Master of the fundamentals. Your skill with a .357, as well as any other handgun, will get better and better as you strive for perfection in fundamentals.

There's an old saying, "Practice Doesn't Make Perfect. PERFECT practice makes perfect."

Good Luck,

Jim

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Trueblood; 11-29-2011 at 01:26 PM.
    "The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Trueblood For This Useful Post:

rkbartley (11-29-2011)

Staff Contributor
    Blog Entries

anyone can shoot a gun, but shooting is a mental sport not simply hardware ... I believe that shooting prepares and trains the mind for the ability to shoot be it tactical shooting or simply plinking. The difference between pulling the trigger and praying, and pulling the trigger and knowing what to do next is training and practice. it does not matter what you practice with, gun, knife, bow and arrow, pellet gun .. all about training the mind... just my humble opinion.
    NRA
    Front sight
    USCCA
    AARL
    RACES
    ARES

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bebo For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (12-03-2011), rkbartley (11-29-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Bebo View Post
    anyone can shoot a gun, but shooting is a mental sport not simply hardware ... I believe that shooting prepares and trains the mind for the ability to shoot be it tactical shooting or simply plinking. The difference between pulling the trigger and praying, and pulling the trigger and knowing what to do next is training and practice. it does not matter what you practice with, gun, knife, bow and arrow, pellet gun .. all about training the mind... just my humble opinion.
    I agree and also rotate with all mine to keep the feel familiar, second nature.
    Human beings understand and respect compassion, kindness, empathy, truth, fairness and logic.
    Predators respect strength

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eccentric For This Useful Post:

Bebo (12-01-2011), Jim Trueblood (12-03-2011), rkbartley (12-01-2011)

ASD Senior Member

Blog Entries

Icon6

All of the above ideas and suggestions are excellent...but we need to remember that if we are not training in a "realistic" environment and in the context of what is plausible...our training is not making us better. Training with a .22 is fine as long as we add our EDC and train with realism in mind.
    Retired USAF
    NRA Certified Instructor (several disciplines)
    Combat FocusŪ Shooting Instructor
    Certified SIG Armorer
    ACLDN Affliated Instructor
    www.nwfft.com
    barry@nwfft.com

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NWFFT For This Useful Post:

Jim Trueblood (12-03-2011), rkbartley (12-03-2011)

Thanks for the great advice! I will start practicing with .38 and work in .357 at the end of my sessions.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Decline For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Interesting thread.

Yes, I practice with the .22 allot. For me, it was important to get a .22 the general size and weight of the normal carry gun. I don't have conversion kits, but I would assume those would be best of all..... the real weight and size of your carry sidearm.

Anyway, I don't like to dry-file, so a real trigger pull is important. Also, the carry holster is a level 2 security SERPA. Virtually no pressure is needed for the release, but it's important to drift the index finger smoothly for the clean lift out and the safety released correctly for the full presentation.

Having suffered some injuries recently, I have been practicing shorter presentations which are important in confined areas where full arm lengths can't be used.

Rossi

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossi For This Useful Post: